No left turn into Aldi !!

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

No left turn into Aldi !!

Post by roy4eyes »

I have seen in the past few days several cars turning left (direction of Apolónia) into Aldi - be warned as there is a solid white line in that direction and last year there were easy pickings for the GNR from unaware motorists breaking the law in this way.

The correct way is to approach from the Lagoa direction and turn right in the Aldi car park.

Be warned - noting this could save you at least € 60 !!!
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: No left turn into Aldi !!

Post by DVBRO »

roy4eyes wrote:I have seen in the past few days several cars turning left (direction of Apolónia) into Aldi - be warned as there is a solid white line in that direction and last year there were easy pickings for the GNR from unaware motorists breaking the law in this way.

The correct way is to approach from the Lagoa direction and turn right in the Aldi car park.

Be warned - noting this could save you at least € 60 !!!
Spoil sport! It was great fun to see the Thunderbirds in action catching all the Tourists, who don't appear to have a clue about driving over here in their little hire cars!
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

Roy, This issue was discussed on the forum shortly after Aldi opened & Tom_i posted this helpful map & instructions:

Well, here's a satellite image from Google (assuming I've got the right place). The centre line on the road is continuous, with a short dashed section (on the Aldi side) at A, which allows you to turn left out of the car park towards Lagoa. However, if you are driving in that direction and want to turn into Aldi, it appears that you have to drive past, go round the roundabout, come back again, then turn right off the road at B (or risk a fine if you get caught doing it some other way). :lol:
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Jeremy's previous post certainly alerted me to this risk, so thanks to him : a " no left turn" sign might be helpful.

I did spot a German campervan turning left there and advised them they risked a GNR fine , but the guy merely said "ah, but there aren't any GNR here".

!!
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Ive never seen GNR in or around the ALDI carpark either......but they are sneaky enough to stay out of sight from the road, so I just dont risk it. A friend of mine got fined 200 euros for an illegal turn recently.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Just to add that a friend of ours was stopped by GNR for turning left out of Pingo the other day for the same reason...if going to Lagoa, turn right & back round the roundabout.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

yep GNR highly active over the last few weeks. they are getting around everywhere stopping people. been opposite Pingo a couple of times pulling people
roundabout on the water tower road, on the way to Ferragudo, is a particular favourite place of theirs for some reason. 2 cars there the other day. pulling everyone from every direction.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

yep GNR highly active over the last few weeks.
Even on the little roundabout on the N124 as you come out of Silves towards Messines.....stopping cars that weren't demonstrating the proper driving etiquette on 2 lane roundabouts ie must take inner lane if not exiting at first exit on right......I'm not convinced that such lane hopping on roundabouts is the safest procedure, but....