Carhire

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Gracie
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Carhire

Post by Gracie »

How many of you take the additional cover with Car Hire companies.
Th cost of hiring a car look good but not when you add the additional daily cost to cover excess.
I Ould welcOme your comments
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Carhire

Post by PhilT »

You'll be better off taking out a separate excess insurance, especially if you hire abroad several times per year.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

PhilT wrote:You'll be better off taking out a separate excess insurance, especially if you hire abroad several times per year.
+1

for example: http://www.insurance4carhire.com/
Gracie
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Gracie »

Thank you so much for the prompt replies. I took your advice. Cover now in place.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

The insuance4car hire is an excellent choice. We have had cover with them for a few years now & fortunately we have not had to use but I told my in-laws about it last year & somebody ran into them & insurance4car hire sorted it all out in a prompt & professional manner. They have renewed it again this year & the policy has not increased.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Totally agree about insurance for car hire...it's about £40 pa for european cover. We had to claim twice (not our faults!) and payment was swift...you need to have a lot of paperwork but payment from them came before the credit card payment was made.
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

Totally agree with all above - Excellent service

mur
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mur »

I normally take out excess car insurance separately.
This time I booked my car with AlgarveDriver for two weeks in July with zero excess Collision Damage Waiver included. I was happy with the quotation.
However, I e-mailed the company today because I spotted the 15% discount that is now being advertised on this site.
Within two hours I received an e-mail from Steen updating my booking with the discount applied.
I'm impressed by this level of service, well done to all concerned.
:D
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

Steen is a top man.
We've used Algarve Driver (YOR) several times now.
In September, a week after we had returned home, I noticed a 15 euro charge to my credit card by AlgarveDriver/YOR.
I was puzzled because we had kept within our toll fees limit and returned the car with three quarter tank of fuel, exactly as when we collected it.
A quick mail to Steen - he investigated and told us the charge was for low fuel
However, I had made a special point of putting a final 5 euros of fuel in at the airport filling station to top up to exactly three quarters.
The office at car park 4 was very busy. The (nice) lady on duty was snowed under. She spotted the keys in my hand and asked if everything had been ok with the car. I told her no problems, so she took the keys, saying she'd check it later, to save me having to wait in the queue.
When Steen told me about the low fuel charge, I was scratching my head because I knew for sure that I had topped up.
Then it occurred to me that when switching on the ignition on a Fiat Panda, the linear type fuel gauge takes a while to creep up to the correct level. I assumed they checked the level without waiting long enough for the full level to be indicated.
I suggested this to Steen and he has arranged for me to receive a 15 euro discount off my next rental in May. A much simpler solution than transferring the 15 euros to my bank.
This is the sort of personal service you can expect if you book through this site.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

That sounds excellent!

We had some trouble when coming back in May with a Renault Clio....not with Yor.....it was just below the 1/2 full mark that indicated the amount of petrol when we started out. I put 5€ in and nothing happened...so another 5€, still nothing, then, I think, 10€ or 15€ and it shot up to full!
Beware non-linear gauges !

I mentioned it when I returned it but just got a shrug of the shoulders and a comment about French cars. perhaps I'll try Yor next time.
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

Yes you have to be careful. The Fiat Panda has a row of small black squares. As you use up the fuel, the squares disappear gradually one by one. When only one or two squares remain, it's time to refill. However, when you refill during your holiday (I usually fill the tank, especially if I am going to return the car with a three quarter tank)
When I've finished filling up, I can travel almost a mile from the petrol station before the black squares slowly reach the full position.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

We had a new Clio from Travelrent in October. You have to take out the key fob before putting in petrol, otherwise it doesn't register on the gauge, regardless of the amount you put in or the mileage driven after filling or number of starts after filling , if the starter card is left when filling, the gauge stays where it is.
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

I suppose that's what is known as progress.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

if the starter card is left when filling, the gauge stays where it is.
Many thanks, if only I had known!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

joeysoap wrote:..if the starter card is left when filling, the gauge stays where it is.
Now, someone at Renault headquarters actually thought this through and consciously designed it this way.
The production line or their suppliers built it this way, and someone tested that it worked this way.

WHY ?? :roll: