What is the weirdest experience you have had in the Algarve?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Margarida
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

What is the weirdest experience you have had in the Algarve?

Post by Margarida »

The Algarve is home to a fair few characters and this can lead to some pretty weird situations cropping up! What is the weirdest experience you have had in the Algarve (keep it clean!).
For me it was perhaps a trip to an island down by Tavira which involved us missing the last boat back, finding ourselves trapped on the island during a mosquito plague and having to call on a man dressed entirely in white to try and help us erect a tent for protection. Perhaps it was the stench of the vinegar we had doused ourselves in, or the loss of blood after being bitten thousands of times, whatever it was – it was one of the weirdest and most surreal Algarve experiences I have ever had!
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Re: What is the weirdest experience you have had in the Alga

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

One of Ellies stories "My husband was called to a local Pension" comes to mind http://www.carvoeiro.com/blog/elliescorner/17032003 or how about the 4 donkeys at 100 Escudos (0,50€) each; http://www.carvoeiro.com/history/rosita
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

1) we hired a boat for a cave visit, the bloke told us to duck down so we wouldn't crack our heads on the roof of a cave, he timed it badly and broke his boat on the way in…big smash, he was obviously very embaressed and he wouldn't go back till he had fixed it. Two hours on a little beach inside a cave.

2) On a lads trip we became er, er, "separated" from one of the lads, I got a frantic phone call at 5.30 from a bus stop asking me to come and get him as he had fallen over and was bleeding, he had no idea where he was in Carvoeiro….just then his phone died….I heard nothing from him and being a nice lad I decided to go back to bed…11.00 am….nowt…..2pm nowt….we all decided to go and look for him….nada, zip, zero sign. Was getting a bit concerned as he was a normally reasonably sensible lad, he turned up at about 8.30 that night, he had slept in a bus shelter all right…In Lisbon….he still won't tell me how or why
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

And that's the strangest thing that has happened to you col,? I think not!
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

My son had a very weird experience while on a break with me and a friend. The 3 of us were staying in Praia da Luz but came to CVO for an evening out. After a great evening in Happys and The Joker with newly made friends we split up with my son going off to the club on the beach. He came out at about 6-30 am feeling awful and not knowing my whereabouts; he had no money and his mobile had no battery left. The only phone number he could remember was that of my land line in England and so he rang this reverse charge from a phone box in the square. My wife was not too pleased to be woken up so early but she told him that she would ring me on my mobile and then ring him back at the phone box which number he gave her. My son then sat on a nearby wall to wait for the return call. To his utter amazement 3 workmen then got out of a parked van walked over to the phone box and demolished it :shock:
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Been racking my brains to recall whether had any weird experience in CVO over last 8 years but being of a certain age, memory not as good as it was...............or maybe I've just had a sheltered life!
Heading over to CVO tomorrow (Sunday 12th) to join wife and daughter. They may have a better memory than me!!! :lol:
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

Apologies, because this experience comes under the 'totally unexpected' category rather than 'weird'. However it concerns what will become one of my most abiding memories of the Algarve.
Last September some friends were staying in Vilamoura. We met them and drove them to Tavira, as they had never been there. We did all the usual touristy things - ferry trip to Ilha de Tavira, stroll along the riverside, lunch in the main square, etc.
Then we decided to make the climb up to the castle.
There are three churches in close proximity. As we passed the church of Santa Casa de Misericordia the door was slightly open and we could hear beautiful piano music filtering out. We stepped inside expecting it to be taped music as is quite common. One or two others were sitting inside, quietly listening. Then we spotted a grand piano to the side of the altar and the beautiful music was being played by a little Portuguese girl, about seven years old! She was playing from music and made it seem so effortless. Everyone was absolutely absorbed by her ability.
This wasn't an official performance. There was no publicity anywhere around. I just got the impression that this was a gifted little girl who was allowed to use the church piano for practice. We listened, mesmerised for a while and when we stood up to go I gave her a quiet little clap and her shy smile was priceless. In keeping with most people in there, we dropped a generous amount into the offertory plate.
Come to think of it perhaps the aim was to boost subscriptions.
Whatever, it will be an experience I'll never forget.
kelly
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by kelly »

mine has to be watching Donald Duck get arrested from our table in Ele Ela... No i hadnt been drinking!!!!

We were sat in Ele Ela and opposite was a guy in a donald duck mask 'busking' and waving at kids etc... next thing you know police turned up and then the guy from the newsagents went across getting involved lots of shouting.... no idea why can only assume it was because he didnt have a permit.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

That reminds me of a similar experience in Praia da Luz. A guy dressed up in a panda outfit was touting for money by having photos taken with kids. One little boy came running back to his dad who was standing outside a bar drinking. The boy was crying and said that the panda had swore at him and so the dad immediately went over to the panda and punched him. The panda then turned into Usein Bolt and ran away at high speed :lol:
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

My wife is a cat lover, and cats are attracted to her wherever we go. Some years ago our garden at Rocha Brava was often full of cats although she didn't feed them there. Two or three often used to sleep on the mat on our patio, but one morning I came down to find a dog sleeping there. It wagged its tail but hardly had the strength to stand, so we gave it some cat biscuits and human food which re-energised him. He was a lovely looking medium sized dog, and followed me when I went for my morning walk. If we went out by car he stayed in the garden, and wagged his tail vigorously when we returned. After a couple of days of this, he followed me down to the beach one morning, and spotted a family with a dog. He went off to greet this dog, and the family seemed quite happy to let them play together. I walked off and this time he didn't follow me. We didn't see him again and I can only hope that he found a happy life somewhere. I felt quite guilty for the rest of the holiday that I didn't do more for him, but we felt that if we took him to the Animal Rescue he might end up being put down.
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

Tricky…..its a family show…..however I did pop in to a certain bar (adega in its day) to find one of the lads we thought was in bed (he took the knock about 5pm) but was naked on the stage, tied to the poll and getting whipped with his own belt….it was 3.30 am mind……I can't tell you any others though!