Medical assistance

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Medical assistance

Post by ceh »

When we were in cvo in early January OH had a cold and cough then started having breathing problems on the first night and I said I'd need to take him to see someone the following day if he wasn't better. When we arrived it was very cold at night and the villa hadn't been occupied since the autumn so was pretty cold which probably didnt help his health. He was a bit better the next day and didn't want to seek help or to make a fuss!

I know there's the hospital at Portimao and the Medical Centre at Lagoa - is that a walk in facility? Is there an English speaking Doctor in cvo? I want to be prepared in case it happens again or anything similar.

Thanks in anticipation

Thanks
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Medical assistance

Post by smudger »

Our baby grand-daughter was taken to the doctor's surgery in the building above Smilers Bar down at the Square couple of years ago. Family happy with the way they were looked after.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

we lived in CVO for a long time, we went to the chemist on the square as first point of call, they're like going to a GP in the UK, they're very knowledgable & helpful.
if they thought you needed some prescription antibiotics or the like they'd send you to see a Doctor, these cost money, 50 or 60 Euro's per visit, there are several in town, Dutch & German mostly and all speak good English.
Doctors can perform minor surgery, stitches etc so are good.
the hospital is only worth a visit in a real emergency, & we'd recommend the Particular in Alvor, always got very good & prompt service there. Medical Insurance covers it or you simply hand the credit card over.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

If you have a EHIC card you can get treated at the state hospitals for free.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

smudger wrote:Our baby grand-daughter was taken to the doctor's surgery in the building above Smilers Bar down at the Square couple of years ago. Family happy with the way they were looked after.
+1 for Dr Viera (sp) 282 350 780

Speaks very good English, and you can just walk in, but he does take appointments, so usually better to phone first.
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike Banks »

alf1956 wrote:If you have a EHIC card you can get treated at the state hospitals for free.
Back in 2007, when Lynda broke her ankle, there was a charge of €7.50 for A&E treatment, and after admission there was a daily charge of €5 to cover food etc. at the Barlovento Hospital in Portimao. This was with an EHIC card, but was still very reasonable ( and reclaimable under the travel insurance). I don't know why UK hospitals don't make a nominal charge for food. Nobody eats for free at home so why should we expect free food in hospital.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

e-richard wrote:
smudger wrote:Our baby grand-daughter was taken to the doctor's surgery in the building above Smilers Bar down at the Square couple of years ago. Family happy with the way they were looked after.
+1 for Dr Viera (sp) 282 350 780

Speaks very good English, and you can just walk in, but he does take appointments, so usually better to phone first.

I will make it +2 and he even comes to the villa if you need him to at no extra cost as far as I can remember.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Many thanks for the responses - I will put Dr Viera's number into my phone just in case it's needed
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

There is a walk-in facility at the Health Centre in Lagoa. It's efficient and courteous. If you don't have the EHIC card - it will cost you €15 to be seen.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

When Sue had her dog bite a couple of years ago, the A& E at Portimao were excellent and quick.....we had a 10€ bill a year later using EHIC. Follow up dressings were FOC at either the Lagoa or CVO health centres....the CVO one is a small one by the primary school ( up past Ma Ja's & turn right).

The Particular at Alvor comes at a price even with health insurance & EHIC....for my back problem ,we had a £30 excess and then had to pay the UK doctor £35 for a report to say, essentially, that the problem hadn't existed at the time the insurance was taken out!......so it's probably not worth going there unless serious.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

The doctor that seems to come most highly recommended by the locals is the German one up at Monte Carvoeiro. Dr Torsten, or something
My wife has visited him twice in the last few years , and on both occasions excellent.

I had an accident and cut the tip off my thumb 2 years ago, and went to the Health Centre in Lagoa.
Showed my EU card, paid my 10 euros, and was seen very quickly by an English speaking doctor, who dealt with me very quickly and professionally..
Having been cleaned up, stitched, bandaged and given a tetanus shot, I was given a list of 2 appointments a week for a month at the Carvoeiro Health Centre.
At Carvoeiro centre I received excellent follow up care for a month, and it never cost me a cent more than the original payment in Lagoa.

We in the UK tend to maintain the belief that you only get the best care at home.
Having received both medical and dental care in Carvoeiro and Lagoa, there is nothing to fear.
I would venture that both Julia and I both received better care in Carvoeiro than we would at home.

How that would work with critical care, I don't know.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Totally agree - I had reason to seek medical attention at the Health Centre in Lagoa on 3 occasions during our time living in Cvo and could not fault the attention, courtesy and professionalism I received.

Having said that I have nothing but the same praise and respect for the NHS service I receive here in West Sussex. I really don't know what all the fuss is about :)
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

Thanks for the further replies and lots of useful information - it seems that people have received excellant care. I will make sure all the info is to hand just in case
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Arrived 20th, needed emergency visit to hospital on 21st. Hospital staff great. Follow visits were to clinic in Carvoeiro located beside the nursery/primary school on edge of Monte Carvoeiro. Again very helpful and efficient medical staff. Only cost was for the replacement bandages at €1.20 a visit.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

shanagarry wrote:Totally agree - I had reason to seek medical attention at the Health Centre in Lagoa on 3 occasions during our time living in Cvo and could not fault the attention, courtesy and professionalism I received.

Having said that I have nothing but the same praise and respect for the NHS service I receive here in West Sussex. I really don't know what all the fuss is about :)
All the fuss is about a bunch of politicians who think they can gain advantage by using the NHS as a political football. It's about time the NHS was ring fenced and all politicians of every persuasion were barred from interfering in it's management, finances, policies and performance. It's too important to the nations well being to allow idiots like Miliband, Cameron & Clegg to get involved. I bet the Portuguese don't play politics in the same way.