Beware GNR in village

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Beware GNR in village

Post by pointersister »

We are just back from Carvoeiro and have to warn all of you about the GNR in the village. I went to the post office to find out how to stop all the junk mail clogging up our letterbox, meantime my husband drove around in the circle, as you do! He decided to pull in on the in road just beyond the bakery on the right hand side of the road, leaving enough room for cars to pass by. When he saw a policeman he thought he might be better to drive on, no cars were coming, so he pulled out only to be stopped by the said policeman and fined €60 on the spot for not indicating!!!! If he hadn't had his license and passport it would have been €200. So beware! After he had been fined another tourist was targeted by the same young policeman, we reckon they are given a book and sent out to collect as much in fines as possible on their shifts. It leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth, after all Carvoiero and the Algarve depend on tourists to keep their economy afloat. Oh and I did find out how to stop the junk... I had to go in to Continente and buy a sticker which I have stuck on the letterbox. I will let you know in May whether it has worked or not.
nosivad
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Beware GNR in village

Post by nosivad »

Yes it is a well known fact that GNR oficers gain promotion by getting the most fines and convictions etc in any month :evil:
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

Maybe they are just doing their job? :shock:
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

This getting past ridiculous...They will def leave a bad taste in the mouths of tourists if they carry on like they do. It happened to a work colleague of mine when she and her friends were holidaying in the Algarve.. they stopped to ask directions, they got fined for stopping by the side of the road to ask directions.... :roll: Needles to say they won't go back. As Gaz says they'd be better off just charging every driver Euros 60 for just being on the bloody road and have done with it.
Gaynor
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

So in the UK you don't get stopped or fined for misdemeanors? - being a tourist does not mean you can park where you want or stop where you want or speed or anything else. We all know that its crowded in the centre of CVO, so why not park your car further up and walk in? Coming from an area "cursed" with tourists from April to October I can share the local frustration and often mutter "Never a copper around when you want one!".
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

HampshireRich wrote:So in the UK you don't get stopped or fined for misdemeanors? - being a tourist does not mean you can park where you want or stop where you want or speed or anything else. We all know that its crowded in the centre of CVO, so why not park your car further up and walk in? Coming from an area "cursed" with tourists from April to October I can share the local frustration and often mutter "Never a copper around when you want one!".
Get yourself a pint Rich & sit down somewhere quiet, stress is very bad for a gentleman of your tender years. :?
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

I agree with HR :D
People park on yellow lines, pavements etc then get upset and annoyed that they got done for breaking traffic laws.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

HampshireRich wrote:So in the UK you don't get stopped or fined for misdemeanors? - being a tourist does not mean you can park where you want or stop where you want or speed or anything else. We all know that its crowded in the centre of CVO, so why not park your car further up and walk in? Coming from an area "cursed" with tourists from April to October I can share the local frustration and often mutter "Never a copper around when you want one!".
He was sitting in the car with engine running, on the in road, up past Jomar, where the buildings overhang the parking spaces, well in on the road, not causing an obstruction. Checked his mirrors, nothing coming so he moved out onto the road and the GNR guy pulled him for not indicating. Very most a local in Ireland would get for this would be advice to indicate, a visitor/tourist would get nothing at all. On Monday I drove to Alvor. just before the bridge on the 125, I had to brake sharpish, and pull right over to the right side and let an oncoming lunatic who started his overtaking in the middle of the bridge and overtook about 5/6 vehicles coming from opposite direction. No effin GNR around then. Think I would have been ok anyway but lucky for me the guy behind me was also alert to what was happening and he also pulled over and slowed right down to allow this lunatic 'our' lane. (I noticed that the driver behind me pulled off for Portimao just after the bridge so I would say he wasn't going any faster than me anyway, but I have often been tailed by drivers on the 125 and if I had one of those drivers on my tail that day......

Last summer I was walking down Restaurant hill when a taxi did a u turn at the rank (local I presume and therefore knew how to get back up the hill easily), I was standing at the paper kiosk and another car did the same few mins later......turned out to be a UK tourist........ guess which one the gerdarmerie pulled and fined? Both turns were Illegal but only one was pulled by the cop standing beside the Carvoeiro Sol.
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

widge wrote:
Get yourself a pint Rich & sit down somewhere quiet, stress is very bad for a gentleman of your tender years. :?
Widge - thanks for the tender as opposed to "advanced" - and the gentleman - however, I suspect you don't have to put up with endless caravans blocking the roads, motorcyclists weaving in and out of traffic at ridiculous speeds (and blaming car drivers if they have to slow down), thousands of confused Brummies wondering what all the green stuff is, people suddenly stopping in the middle of the road to look at a horse ... etc etc etc! - there's nowhere quiet to have a pint! :shock: :cry: - and Joeysoap, even here in the UK taxi drivers seem to be above the law! :wink:
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

What I find most bewildering is the concept of Portuguese motorists actually indicating!!

I have heard there is a move afoot in Portugal to get indicators removed from new cars because they are an unnecessary accessory for Portuguese car owners!!
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

Bruce Wallis wrote:I have heard there is a move afoot in Portugal to get indicators removed from new cars because they are an unnecessary accessory for Portuguese car owners!!
Obviously there to enable tourists to be fined :P
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

He should have told the officer he was there to sell 'Herbs' and counterfeit handbags, perfume and sunglasses, then he would have been left alone.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

R.Wethereyet wrote:He should have told the officer he was there to sell 'Herbs' and counterfeit handbags, perfume and sunglasses, then he would have been left alone.
He should have offered to pay the "fee"
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

pointersister wrote:We are just back from Carvoeiro and have to warn all of you about the GNR in the village. I went to the post office to find out how to stop all the junk mail clogging up our letterbox, meantime my husband drove around in the circle, as you do! He decided to pull in on the in road just beyond the bakery on the right hand side of the road, leaving enough room for cars to pass by. When he saw a policeman he thought he might be better to drive on, no cars were coming, so he pulled out only to be stopped by the said policeman and fined €60 on the spot for not indicating!!!! If he hadn't had his license and passport it would have been €200. So beware! After he had been fined another tourist was targeted by the same young policeman, we reckon they are given a book and sent out to collect as much in fines as possible on their shifts. It leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth, after all Carvoiero and the Algarve depend on tourists to keep their economy afloat. Oh and I did find out how to stop the junk... I had to go in to Continente and buy a sticker which I have stuck on the letterbox. I will let you know in May whether it has worked or not.
What does the sticker say in Portuguese?
Mike Burton
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Mike Burton »

Our stickers says. Nao Publicado. It does seem to work as we hardly ever get any rubbish in our postbox since westuck it on