GNR at Roundabouts

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

GNR at Roundabouts

Post by EMM »

There have been a few alarmist postings on other forums suggesting that the GNR will be looking for drivers who do not follow the rules in the latest edition of the PT highway code. E300 fine suggested.
In particular those relating to the use of roundabouts.
IE ( hope I have got it right ) IF entering a two lane roundabout and intending to drive straight on if there is a junction to the right then you should use the left had lane, switching back to the right hand lane to exit.
This s contrary to how the majority drive in Europe.
Could leave to fun and games and probably a few more shunts if we all start to do this.
Will the hire car companies start to put leaflets in their cars educating and further confusing the holiday maker.
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: GNR at Roundabouts

Post by pete-flint »

It should be up to the hirer to be aware of traffic laws in whatever country he/she drives in, as in this country, ignorance is not an excuse.

It seems to be the way to negotiate a roundabout if you are going straight on and not turning right at the first or second exit, traffic will/should give way on those junctions. Use of indicators (not applicable to BMW/Audi drivers) should make ones intentions clear. If all else fails, take the racing line. :D :D
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Trouble is, you go in the left hand lane and then have to cut across the driver that used the right. I've noticed most drivers keep to the right.
DeLorean
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by DeLorean »

laserblazer wrote:Trouble is, you go in the left hand lane and then have to cut across the driver that used the right. I've noticed most drivers keep to the right.
That is why sometimes there are stupid accidents in roundabouts. Drivers circle the hole way on the right. If you are exiting the first exit then stick to the right. If you are exiting the second or another exit ahead you enter on the left lane and circle the roundabout. To take the exit you want, you start shifting right just before the exit. Simple. If everyone did it like this, there would be less accidents in the roundabouts.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

De Lorean has got it spot on. This was in the previous Highway Code and is not a new rule.

When you think about it, it is very sensible in speeding up traffic. If this were not the case then why bother having 2 lanes ?
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

from rules of the road Ireland
Think of the roundabout as a clock

*If taking any exit from the 6 o’clock to the 12 o’clock position, motorists
should generally approach in the left-hand lane.

*If taking any exit between the 12 o’clock to the 6 o’clock positions,
motorists should generally approach in the right-hand lane.
Obviously the 'clock' is reversed in Portugal but is Portugal any different in exiting at 12 o'clock (even though this might be the 2nd exit) ?

From Lagoa to Airport all exits on 125 are straight on or 2nd exit. Should we stay in right hand lane?
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pointersister »

Now you are just confusing me JS telling me that clocks are back to front in Portugal :D Is that not just when you have consumed too much wine???
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

This should make it easier to understand.

http://www.taldisparate.pt/2013/12/nova ... sXCNfRdUrU
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

pointersister wrote:Now you are just confusing me JS telling me that clocks are back to front in Portugal :D Is that not just when you have consumed too much wine???
Even worse with a digital watch. :shock:
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

pete-flint wrote:
pointersister wrote:Now you are just confusing me JS telling me that clocks are back to front in Portugal :D Is that not just when you have consumed too much wine???
Even worse with a digital watch. :shock:
Worse still a sundial. Maybe that's why so many accidents occur at night or in bad light.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Didn't think it was possible to consume too much wine :D :D :D :D
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

R.Wethereyet wrote:This should make it easier to understand.

http://www.taldisparate.pt/2013/12/nova ... sXCNfRdUrU
Good information, thanks. I tried out this 'method' earlier today on a few minor roundabouts close enough to home. Lots of ' idiot ' and 'learn the rules' looks. There is a relatively busy roundabout not too far from my home, wouldnt dare try it out there.
by EMM ( hope I have got it right ) IF entering a two lane roundabout and intending to drive straight on if there is a junction to the right then you should use the left had lane, switching back to the right hand lane to exit.
This is contrary to how the majority drive in Europe.
Going to cause some fun alright.
Last edited by joeysoap on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

What makes driving in Portugal all the more interesting is that 90% of Portuguese owned cars seem to have had their indicators disconnected.

Therefore the prudent way to approach any form of junction, is to expect the unexpected.
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

Bruce Wallis wrote:What makes driving in Portugal all the more interesting is that 90% of Portuguese owned cars seem to have had their indicators disconnected.

Therefore the prudent way to approach any form of junction, is to expect the unexpected.
Good advice Bruce, it also works very well in the U.K. :roll: