Driving down from Lisbon

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Phil
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Driving down from Lisbon

Post by Phil »

We'll be driving down from Lisbon to CVO in May. Is it worth leaving the motorway and taking a detour via Evora and the IP2 through Baja then join up with the IC1? Is there anything worth seeing on this route?

As a matter of interest how much would I pay in tolls if I chose to use all motorway?
snowbirds
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Driving down from Lisbon

Post by snowbirds »

We drove down in January and it was about Euro 18.00 from Lisbon. Only a few other cars and scenery on the motorway is very good.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

Phil wrote:We'll be driving down from Lisbon to CVO in May. Is it worth leaving the motorway and taking a detour via Evora and the IP2 through Baja then join up with the IC1? Is there anything worth seeing on this route?

As a matter of interest how much would I pay in tolls if I chose to use all motorway?
If you have the time, yes the diversion would be nice....but as Snowbirds say, the scenery off the A2 is good anyway.

I agree on the 18 euro figure for the A2, but dont forget, whereas you pay your toll as you come off the A2 to join the A22, there is a SCUT toll on the A22, which you will pay at the Carvoeiro post office or Tabac in Intermarche, 3 days after your journey.
Phil
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the feedback snowbirds and Bruce. I have done the A2 route a couple of times some years ago. Thought we may stop at Evora for a spot of lunch and quick look around.
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Hi Phil
Which car hire company are you using. When we looked it was better to take train 1st class as 100 euros was added for cross region car hire by collecting in Lisbon and drop off at Faro
Phil
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Phil »

Aldo wrote:Hi Phil
Which car hire company are you using. When we looked it was better to take train 1st class as 100 euros was added for cross region car hire by collecting in Lisbon and drop off at Faro
We're using Multiauto Rent, booked via Atlas Choice, and suspiciously cheap at £110 for 14 days! I noticed the 100 euros fee for one way drop off but we'll be going back up to Lisbon to drop off.

I've taken out a seperate excess insurance waiver policy with Atlas Direct (for £27) to cover any "scams" on the scratches and dents etc!! Hopefully I don't end up regretting using this lot as i'd never heard of them before.

Anyone had any experience with Multiauto Rent?
redford
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by redford »

How long does it take to drive from Lisbon to Carvoeiro please?
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

170 miles (274km), approx 3 hours or thereabouts
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

As our non UK visitors have found car hire at lisbon is much, much cheaper than Faro even in high season.

It more than pays for the cost of driving down .
Phil
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Phil »

EMM wrote:As our non UK visitors have found car hire at lisbon is much, much cheaper than Faro even in high season.

I'm flying in/out of Lisbon to use my airmiles. It's hard to find availability via Faro. I must say, the car hire rates were a pleasant surprise! :D :D :D
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

EMM wrote:As our non UK visitors have found car hire at lisbon is much, much cheaper than Faro even in high season.

EMM - that's an interesting statement, so let's try to validate:

Assuming that MC's distances are correct (Route A2 from Lisbon turn off onto N124 to Silves/CVO?) and 170 miles is 4 gallons of diesel (just over 42 miles per gallon) and the price of diesel is around 6euros per gallon that's a fuel cost of 48euros for a round trip - don't know what a round trip to Faro and back is in diesel - say 20euros which means you would save that cost which equates to an actual extra fuel cost of 28euros. So if the car hire is more than 28 euros cheaper than in CVO you indeed make a saving - if you hire a car for 2 weeks the saving would be greater. Are hire cars more available in Lisbon in the high season?

I haven't checked yet but is the airfare any cheaper flying to Lisbon than Faro from the UK - and is it a better schedule?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Our Swedish friends were quote over 500 euros for their stay last July. flying into Lisbon and hiring a car there saved them almost 50%.
Flights were also cheaper and more convenient.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

I have a pdf of the route I can send to you via email. PM me if you'd like it.
Aitch
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aitch »

Bruce Wallis wrote:
Phil wrote:We'll be driving down from Lisbon to CVO in May. Is it worth leaving the motorway and taking a detour via Evora and the IP2 through Baja then join up with the IC1? Is there anything worth seeing on this route?

If you have the time, yes the diversion would be nice....but as Snowbirds say, the scenery off the A2 is good anyway.

I agree on the 18 euro figure for the A2, but dont forget, whereas you pay your toll as you come off the A2 to join the A22, there is a SCUT toll on the A22, which you will pay at the Carvoeiro post office or Tabac in Intermarche, 3 days after your journey.
Come off the A2 at Messines and cut across to Cvo via Silves and it will save you the Scut tolls and I think will be just as quick
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

If you come off at the Albufeira junction I think that you will also avoid any A22 tolls.