olympics closing ceremony

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: olympics closing ceremony

Post by bruce »

alf1956, I for one enjoyed every minute of the Olympics, the athletes were exceptional and ours did the country proud.
I do think you are correct in your assumption that many were waiting for it all to go wrong!
Makes me feel proud to be British after this wonderful event.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

bruce wrote:alf1956, I for one enjoyed every minute of the Olympics, the athletes were exceptional and ours did the country proud.
I do think you are correct in your assumption that many were waiting for it all to go wrong!
thanks bruce im glad you share my sentiments
cumbria sue
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by cumbria sue »

alf1956 wrote:
bruce wrote:alf1956, I for one enjoyed every minute of the Olympics, the athletes were exceptional and ours did the country proud.
thanks bruce im glad you share my sentiments
totally agree with both of you, I thought from start to finish everything went to plan right down to the wonderful volunteers, I agree Sue it me proud to be British also :D
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I don't think anyone has been negative about the Olympics, it was great. I just found the closing ceremony tedious. It was a bit like some of the "last night" amateur theatrical things where they spend an hour or so thanking everyone and their dog and you feel it would be rude to walk out. 90 minutes shorter would have suited me.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

HampshireRich wrote:
widge wrote:Stevie Wonder is getting divorced after 11 years of marriage. His wife doesn't think he's seeing another woman.

George Soros the 82 year old billionaire has got engaged to his 40 year old yoga teacher; can't imagine what she sees in him. :shock:
.... and this has what to do with the Closing Ceremony?????

Thought the ceremony was pretty good though :)
A brief and light hearted diversion from some of the other comments about the closing ceremony? anyway it made me laugh.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

alf1956 wrote:no wonder theres a doom&gloom outlook in the air with all the negativity posts on here about the olympics why on earth people cant try to be positive in the fact that we put on a fantastic olympics that everybody has praised. i would like to hazzard a guess that the afore said people were just waiting for it all to go wrong then they would have had a field day7would be shouting it from the rooftops how bad the games were&how we messed it up
Spot on Alf I'm tempted to say more,but will refrain from doing so.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

I loved the closing ceremony. Watched it on the big screen at Acordeo Bar at the top of the hill with lots of other people and there was a great atmosphere. Could have lived without Muse but apart from that had a good old sing a long and I loved the staging. It was noticeable that when the rio section came on, many of the athletes lost interest compared with the music when they were all dancing and singing along.

I was relieved that the expected "Oh Jude-ogram" did not materialise.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

A few nitpicks such as the so called super models :roll: but overall really enjoyable with the star being the stadium - those electronic pads produced a fantastic display :)
JackyD
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by JackyD »

I did wonder if all the people giving negative comments about the closing ceremony actually watched it all. Yes, there were some bits that were not to my taste (super models and ballet come to mind) but it was a wonderful end of event party. Jessie J was wonderful and the Eric Idle sketch very funny. As for the octopus coming out of a bus - incredible. Seb Coe did a brilliant speech at the end and it did not go on too long either. Brilliant organisation throughout the whole olympics. Makes me very proud to say my country did that. Well done to all. :D :P :lol: 8) :D
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

People just want to be negative - let them. There was something for everyone I thought - and anyone in their late 40s would have been best placed to recognise everything that was performed - unless, of course, they are fuddy duddies!
JackyD
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by JackyD »

fmm I totally agree with your comments. I am over 40 but definitely not a fuddy duddy. I could see that the young athletes enjoyed the party and were singing along to the songs so it must have appealed to the young and trendy as well.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Great ceremonies - both opening and closing - its something we Brits do better than anyone else! (even though it was tony blair's idea!)
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

maccasa wrote:Great ceremonies - both opening and closing - its something we Brits do better than anyone else! (even though it was tony blair's idea!)
Oh! was it, he's made a few bob there then for sure........ "I've got a nice little thing coming up in 2012 now for a small consideration I could Y'know like" :roll:
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

pato wrote:
maccasa wrote:Great ceremonies - both opening and closing - its something we Brits do better than anyone else! (even though it was tony blair's idea!)
Oh! was it, he's made a few bob there then for sure........ "I've got a nice little thing coming up in 2012 now for a small consideration I could Y'know like" :roll:
Pato, pato, how could you insinuate such a thing about one of our senior politicians (retired, but still creaming it off his notoriety) ?
James Faro
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by James Faro »

With a huge audience both domestically and internationally not everybody is going to be happy with the opening and closing ceremonies. I think both were excellent. The French were full of praise even though they lost out in the bidding process,

If that disgusting pervert Gary Glitter came on warbling then everybody would be 100% united in their opinions!

As for Paul McCartney. If he sang a new song that was appalling, then by all means criticise him. Because he is now in his 70s and his voice is not what he used to be nor his appearance that is not his fault. The man is part of rock history. From what the press have said and many forums he does not need rhino skin but an armour of stainless steel! The comments about him were pure hatred and ageist. The man is only human. He must have been devastated at the venom thrown at him

I really can't understand this criticism that the Danny Boyd production was left-wing especially about the NHS. Everybody use the NHS directly or indirectly. Yes,Labour introduced the NHS but the concept came from William Beveridge, a Tory! It was a joint effort except Labour's effort was a bit more than the Tories! :)