Lisbon/Cascais

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
ncook
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Lisbon/Cascais

Post by ncook »

We're planning on spending a few days in Lisbon before coming down to Carvoeiro this year and I've seen a good deal at a golf hotel complex in Cascais.

Does anyone know if Cascais is a reasonable base for Lisbon? Is it easy enough to get to Lisbon? Driving or train?

Any information greatly accepted!
markymark1988
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Re: Lisbon/Cascais

Post by markymark1988 »

Cascais is an excellent base for Lisbon. There is a direct train service between Cascais and Lisbon which takes about 25 minutes. I didn't drive it but would imagine the drive is equally as simple as the train. Cascais is a great place. If you do decide to go there make sure you visit this restaurant, http://www.mardoinferno.guiadacidade.com/ if you like fish. You WILL NOT be disappointed . Its a fantastic restaurant and very reasonably priced. Check it out on Trip Adviser. I would highly recommend it. Good luck
ncook
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by ncook »

Thanks Mark. Will check with Mrs C tonight and probably book it then!! :D
markymark1988
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by markymark1988 »

I forgot to mention, the train fare is peanuts and it takes you directly into the centre of Lisbon. From there, there is a very good underground system.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Let the train take the strain !!

Driving and parking in Lisbon centre is definitely neither enjoyable nor for the faint-hearted !!

Use the open-topped hop on- hopoff bus to get your bearings and get info at the same time.

The old trams and the tram museum are also must do's
Cook Family
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Cook Family »

I can re-iterate these opinions.
When we spent a few days in Lisbon it was very easy to hop on the train from Cais do Sodre station and get off at the various beaches along the line - so it will be the same in the opposite direction.
I think Cascais was at the end of this particular train line if I remember correctly. Other places along the way and worth a quick stop-off are Belem (close to city centre) and Estoril.
The underground is also easily navigable and efficient. You can walk from Cais do Sodre station into the city centre or get the underground if preferred.
Try and get up to the Castelo do Sao Jorge as well - a great walk up and great views across the city.
Burki
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Burki »

I'd recommend staying in Cascais, too. Not as busy as Lisbon and a nice place to stay. Been there a few times (stayed at Hotel Village) and always used the (cheap) train from Cascais to Cais do Sodre train station. Saves the hassle driving into Lisbon...
B.
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

Go to Luains Irish Bar in R. da Palmeira, should be good for some live entertainment, lot better than the Irish Bar facing the beach in the square.
The train into Lisbon is the best option. It terminates not far from the main shopping area, it's a nice walk. :D :D
TomUK
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by TomUK »

My pal and his wife got back just last week after 10 days in Cascais. Enjoyed the place so much they intend to return for another stay there next year. After arriving at Lisbon airport they travelled on the local bus service from the airport direct to Cascais for a few euros.
They travelled into Lisbon on a number of occasions by train. Apparently, this local line runs only between Lisbon and Cascais and follows a very pleasant scenic route along the coastline. As stated above, journey time is 20-25 minutes and the fare is minimal. I have driven to Lisbon from the Algarve and can confirm the views about the nightmare traffic conditions in the city.

The only fly in the ointment for my pal was that on the day of their return there was a bus drivers' strike and they had to take a taxi back to the airport at a cost of €50!
Sinkie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Sinkie »

ncook wrote:We're planning on spending a few days in Lisbon before coming down to Carvoeiro this year and I've seen a good deal at a golf hotel complex in Cascais.

Does anyone know if Cascais is a reasonable base for Lisbon? Is it easy enough to get to Lisbon? Driving or train?

Any information greatly accepted!
Can you provide a link to the complex please?
ncook
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by ncook »

Sinkie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Sinkie »

Thanks. I see there is another complex nearby. Will have a look as I have been told the golf around Lisbon is worth a try.
jimmyp
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by jimmyp »

I can thoroughly recommend Penha Longa - A wonderful hotel and great golf course - if you avoid the middle of the summer when they hollow tine the greens!!