Tolls on the A22

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
e-richard

Re: Tolls on the A22

Post by e-richard »

Bruce Wallis wrote:People, especially holiday makers, dont mind the tolls......
I fear that if more of the rental companies adopt the trend towards €20 prepaid transponders with a use it or lose it policy, you may change your view on that one.
Faro to Alcatarilha and back is less than €6.00, and I know plenty of short break holidaymakers who only use that route.
Bruce Wallis wrote:I know that somebody will prove me wrong......but not one of the people I know that has done this, has been chased up, or had money charged retrospectively to their credit cards.
I certainly cannot prove you wrong on that count :wink:
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

On our last trip in June this year we paid the car hire company in cash, they never asked for any credit card details at all. We paid for our toll charges at Intermarche, obviously we could not pay for our return toll charges, so unless the car hire company give our details to the collection agency I dont see how we can be chased up.
The car hire company did tell us there would be no come back - to date there has been none.
Rubydoo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Rubydoo »

If it's not too cheeky a question Bruce, what car hire company did you use?
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Zitauto, we have used them many times and will be again next week.
dodger
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by dodger »

Other half is using Algarvedriver at moment and wanted to go to Golf today but as she is leaving Tuesday she could not use the A22 as she was told unless she had a clear 48 hours before she left she couldn't!!??

What kind of a bloody system is this??

She has to use the N125 to drive back to the airport then??

Surely this bollox system need looked at does it not??
sassyd
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by sassyd »

We used car hire from Algarve driver 2 weeks ago. Returned to Faro airport on Monday 8th Oct via the A22, returned car and wait to see if we get charged in any way for the toll.

Have never heard from any hire firms regarding the return to airport toll which we had not paid.
Rubydoo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Rubydoo »

My sister used Travelrent when they were out in January and got charged 20 Euros on their credit card on their return.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Rubydoo wrote:My sister used Travelrent when they were out in January and got charged 20 Euros on their credit card on their return.
picked up car yesterday from Travelrent. in front of me was a guy who had paid the €20 charge to use the A22 but used it only once to travel to Spain. anyway he was looking for a refund of the balance. Guy from TR informed him that it should have been made clear before paying the €20 that it was on a use it or lose it basis. Did say however that if he did not use the tolls even once then he could apply for a refund of the €20, but even one toll meant no refund.
I was offered the car with or without without the toll charge (fixed €20) but as I have a pickup/return during the stay this means that I will use up most of the €20 on airport runs alone, not including any other trips I might make on the motorway, so I accepted the T&C's. still a very reasonabe €110 for the 7 days including the €20. next customer who I was talking to while waiting to be served was paying a lot more than that through an intermediary and that was before the tolls charge but did include excess waiver. the €20 includes the hire of the transponder and any charges up to that amount.
DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DaveK »

Going back to my post of 23 September some good news :). I have now received my credit card statement. Not a thing relating to the tolls or admin. charge have appeared! Good result for me but I did try to conform and register the car on the Easytoll system. Looks like a pretty poor showing for the toll operators. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a non Pt. registered car?

Further good new is that we today received the £200 compensation from Brittany Ferries for the drive up to Calais during the strike :D. Just about covers the fuel and toll costs as we avoided a large section of toll motorway North of Bordeaux.

Back next month and will be using TravelRent and the 125 :(
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

still a very reasonabe €110 for the 7 days including the €20
I use AirAuto, booked via arguscarhire.com and it's 280€ for 33 days from 29 October.....used to use Travelrent but found they were getting a bit pricey....this is for a group D car ( Opel Corsa or equivalent with AC) : have used them before....sometimes have to wait a bit, but service is good....additional driver 25€ : use an annual insurance excess policy.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Geoff wrote:
still a very reasonabe €110 for the 7 days including the €20
I use AirAuto, booked via arguscarhire.com and it's 280€ for 33 days from 29 October.....used to use Travelrent but found they were getting a bit pricey....this is for a group D car ( Opel Corsa or equivalent with AC) : have used them before....sometimes have to wait a bit, but service is good....additional driver 25€ : use an annual insurance excess policy.
Thats brilliant, less than €10 per day! Travelrent allow all drivers but €25 is minor for 33 days. Think most renters on here have an annual excess policy - just in case.

Enjoy your walks Geoff, some year they will coincide with my visits and who knows, might be persuaded. Longest walk last week was on Friday. We parked just over the old bridge in Portimao, walked down the paved area beside the river, around the port, on through to PdR along the sea front to Tivoli, then along the boardwalk to the end and back. with a little stopover for a bite and a drink. very enjoyable.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Hi Joeysoap.....you missed a lovely walk today!

Arrived monday, no nonsence of paying for transponders, used N125, easy 1 hour drive.....you just need to be careful that when you stop for oranges, you don't get a bit more than you bargained for from the " ladies".
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Came back to Faro on the 125 this morning and a quick clear run. It is a bank holiday though.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Geoff wrote:Hi Joeysoap.....you missed a lovely walk today!
rub it in why don't you? :evil: :evil: :evil:
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Hi Joey, do you know if Fitzpatrick’s on the Cooley peninsular is still open???