Cabanas de Tavira

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
James Faro
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Cabanas de Tavira

Post by James Faro »

Ellie wrote:Where is this 'Cabanas de Tavira' please?
Ellie, Tavira is like Marmite; you will hate it and then love it!

When, I first visited there I thought I was in Soweto! Ughhh! Then,on the same day a I visited a place nearby, called Santa Luisa which was extremely pretty. A year later I revisited Santa Luisa and just did not like it but upon visiting Tavira I thought it was fantastic. :D

You can never got bored in Tavira; always plenty to see and do! :wink: The Algarve is very friendly but I found the people of Tavira really friendly! :D
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Only posts that had nothing to do with this topic have been removed.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I found the people of Tavira really friendly
The first time we went there we were confronted by parking meters but had no change. A little old lady, at a card shop, spoke no English but she put money in the meter for us and showed us how many hours we had. She was really surprised when we went back to repay here and buy a wad of postcards. Just standing by the old bridge watching the fishermen makes Tavira worthwhile. Then there's the 10 million churches, the castle and some nice shops and restaurants. Cabanas de Tavira is a spit of sand with a campsite, you get to by ferryboat.
mac
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by mac »

Well, I hope we can get to Tavira when we hopefully come out in September/October. We're having to cancel our June trip (boo hoo) and really hope we can come out later in the year. Otherwise it'll be next February time. We do try to come over 3 or 4 times a year and never get bored.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Cabanas is a new overdeveloped resort with a lot of development much of it unfinished, Although there is a new seafront and walk way.
On our first trip to Portugal we stayed near Tavira and can remember the quality and value of the food.
Like everywhere else it has changed beyond recognition with a new road bridge, and development down stream of the old " so called Roman bridge " but it is a good contrast to the rugged scenery of Carvoeiro's coast line.
Our friends who live in Tavira say the the Island ( beach ) is very popular with Portuguese and Spanish and can get very busy at weekends.
scottishstacey
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by scottishstacey »

I think ill definitely be paying a visit in september. Would you reccomend it as a day trip or is it better to stay overnight? We were going to be going a overnight trip anyway but probably to lisbon. Hopefully can do both!! :D
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

scottishstacey wrote:I think ill definitely be paying a visit in september. Would you reccomend it as a day trip or is it better to stay overnight? We were going to be going a overnight trip anyway but probably to lisbon. Hopefully can do both!! :D
You will love Lisbon Stacey...I spent 3 days there and visited the Belem Tower...Monasterios de Jeronimo..and also visited the Tower of St George(Portugal's patron saint)....and I loved every minute :D :wink:
scottishstacey
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by scottishstacey »

Cheers Ellie :D my bfs always wanted to visit there so i think we'll leave the mother in law at home and go for a wee over night :lol: I really like the look of Tavira too, that waterfall looks beautiful!!
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

e-richard wrote:Only posts that had nothing to do with this topic have been removed.
Censorship eh?
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

I've visited Tavira once and to be honest I found it disappointing, didn't impress me one little bit, but there you go, one man's meat! 8)
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

must be something wrong with me. I agree with Pato. stayed in Santa Luzia near Tavira in 2009. lovely little village. nice walk along the estuary to the pontoon bridge and then either the little train or another very pleasant walk to stunning beaches, or you could get a boat over to the beach (2.50 return) warm sea too, much warmer than this side of Portugal . beer in the village was 40c or 50c a bottle depending on which bar you were in. 5/6 decent restaurants, about the same number of bars. only 1 shop. loved it.
We went into Tavira on 2/3 evenings and to be honest there was not much about the place. nice town. plenty of restaurants, little market with stalls, lots of churches, not a lot else, in our opinion not a patch on Lagos.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Id love to see those beaches :)
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

scottishstacey
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by scottishstacey »

Beautiful!!
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Lovely pics Joeysoap - very similar to those in Northern Portugal around Ofir :D