bees

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
jessi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

bees

Post by jessi »

:roll: Thank you to the person who thought it might be a good idea to put Bee Hives on the waste land over from Monte Santo
Maybe would have been a good idea to have put a sign to warn people they were there!!! I got stung, good job I am not a child or an animal as it could so easily have been life threatening! please be very careful
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: bees

Post by EMM »

Hold on its NOT waste land it is someones agricultural property and for all you know it was the owner who did it.
Also we wander across such land at the discretion of the owners, I do not think that we have automatic rights of access.

It is better that land is used in this way rather than becoming a tip for builders waste.
Gary/Gaynor
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Gary/Gaynor »

EMM wrote:Hold on its NOT waste land it is someones agricultural property and for all you know it was the owner who did it.
Also we wander across such land at the discretion of the owners, I do not think that we have automatic rights of access.

It is better that land is used in this way rather than becoming a tip for builders waste.
100% Agree ! :) We have a Bee Hotel in our garden where they can rest, no-one' s moved in yet but we are hoping.
Gaynor
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Bees are generally passive ceatures and only sting if they think their hive is under attack. If you keep away from the hive it is very unlikely that you will get stung. If you do get stung it does not pose the same risk as a wasp sting. As regards any animal getting stung I would suggest that is down to nature's balance unless you are talking about a pet dog off a lead that the owner has allowed to attack the bees - in which case it deserves what it gets.

Bees do an enormous amount of good and the citrus fruit orchards in the Alagrve would not survive long without them.

Leave the bees alone and you will be safe.
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

We've planted bee friendly plants in our garden masses of lavender, rosemary, sage, jasmine, honeysuckle, etc., & we're surrounded by orange groves, sometimes it sounds like an army of mini chainsaws are working overtime. Every year we're given jars of wonderful local honey & I like to think our plants have contributed to their lovely flavour. The only times I've been stung it has been by wasps.
jessi
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by jessi »

Oh Dear!!!
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Mankind would not live long without bees.....look up Albert Einstein!
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Ellie wrote:Mankind would not live long without bees.....look up Albert Einstein!
He's not much use - he's only got one b :D
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

When we did the touristy jeep trip excursion we visited a farmer who kept bees and made grat honey and hooch. I'm a bit nervous when buzzing insects come near (bad chidhood experience with a wasps nest!) and the farmer told me that if yiu just blow at the bee it will go away. So, enclosed in the honey-making shed with loads of bees buzzing around I tried it - lo and behold, it works - and you don't get stung like you could by flapping your arms at the bee.

Also, contrary to most people's beliefs, most bees do not die when they sting you - that's only a couple of types (bumble being one) - and the little b*gg*r that stung me a couple of years ago - that one died after an argument with the sole of my shoe :twisted:
jamielyon4
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by jamielyon4 »

HampshireRich wrote:When we did the touristy jeep trip excursion we visited a farmer who kept bees and made grat honey and hooch. I'm a bit nervous when buzzing insects come near (bad chidhood experience with a wasps nest!) and the farmer told me that if yiu just blow at the bee it will go away. So, enclosed in the honey-making shed with loads of bees buzzing around I tried it - lo and behold, it works - and you don't get stung like you could by flapping your arms at the bee.

Also, contrary to most people's beliefs, most bees do not die when they sting you - that's only a couple of types (bumble being one) - and the little b*gg*r that stung me a couple of years ago - that one died after an argument with the sole of my shoe :twisted:

Rich dont tell me how you blow it away when its hovering round your rear end!! :lol:
HampshireRich
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by HampshireRich »

jamielyon4 wrote:
HampshireRich wrote:When we did the touristy jeep trip excursion we visited a farmer who kept bees and made grat honey and hooch. I'm a bit nervous when buzzing insects come near (bad chidhood experience with a wasps nest!) and the farmer told me that if yiu just blow at the bee it will go away. So, enclosed in the honey-making shed with loads of bees buzzing around I tried it - lo and behold, it works - and you don't get stung like you could by flapping your arms at the bee.

Rich dont tell me how you blow it away when its hovering round your rear end!! :lol:
That's for extermination - not a friendly "go away" :lol:
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

I am not getting into a conversation regarding Bs and BJs (for a change) :twisted:
jamielyon4
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by jamielyon4 »

pete-flint wrote:I am not getting into a conversation regarding Bs and BJs (for a change) :twisted:

Pete, its a sure fire way to keep the girls out of a topic!! :lol: