Tolls on the A22

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Tolls on the A22

Post by fmm »

I am more than happy to pay for the privilege of a clear (ish) road to the motorway. But I need it to be easy to pay the relevant fees.
James Faro
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by James Faro »

fmm wrote:I am more than happy to pay for the privilege of a clear (ish) road to the motorway. But I need it to be easy to pay the relevant fees.
But isn't the A22 normally clear? I go up and down it like a yo-yo from CVO to Faro(when I was there) and it is normally not congested. Driving past CVO towards Lagos and beyond it becomes very quiet; almost a pleasure. it will be a damn sight more quiet when the tolls are introduced,

The worst thing is the N125 - that is just hazardous and congested! :?
Toots
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Toots »

Hi all

How about sticking a strip of black insulating tape horizontally over the middle of the plate front and rear??

Toots
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

Lesley Jean wrote: Not so "Simples when your flight is early and they are not open, what do you do then???

Steen do you have any information about how Yor is going to work these tolls out with people like us who hire a car from them/you, we don't always see a rep at the airport as our flights can be early or very late so we wouldn't be able to pay at the airport, I really don't like using the N125 and basically we only use the motorway to get to and from the airport.
I have read all the info so far but car hire is still not clear at all.
The short answer is that payment would have to be done at the post office, how you would pay for the return trip to Faro airport I can not tell you, if the depart is very early or late.

The whole situation is infuriating and the car rental companies are clinging to the hope of a last minute grace until a solution has been found for tourists in rental cars.

I'll update the site and forum in the instant there are news.

It would be so simple to: 1. create a website where you could log in using using the cars license plate number and the dates you've used it, and pay on-line 2. set up a few machines similar to the parking machines in the airport and let car rental clients pay there as well.

The current state of Portugal can not be a surprise to anyone with the monkeys in suits governing public affairs.

The irony of the whole thing is that the A22 was funded by the EU: by the taxpayers in practice now refused access to the motorway.
Steen Jakobsen
Site Admin

Post by Steen Jakobsen »

I better add that;

The car rental companies will be forced to reveal name and address of clients having used the motorway and not paid. The surplus work could mean charging an administrative fee to the concerned clients credit cards.

Property owners in Portugal are in risk with their property for unpaid tolls, fines and also traffic fines which could be charged through the toll system.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

James Faro wrote:
fmm wrote:I am more than happy to pay for the privilege of a clear (ish) road to the motorway. But I need it to be easy to pay the relevant fees.
But isn't the A22 normally clear? I go up and down it like a yo-yo from CVO to Faro(when I was there) and it is normally not congested. Driving past CVO towards Lagos and beyond it becomes very quiet; almost a pleasure. it will be a damn sight more quiet when the tolls are introduced,

The worst thing is the N125 - that is just hazardous and congested! :?
Most of the time it is quiet - the day a tyre flew across the central reservation, bounced in front of my car, over the top and then hit the 6 cars behind me, caused quite a jam I understand :shock:
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

I have just been on the Ex-Pats forum to see latest there. Whilst people seem to be having more success at getting the boxes, there is clearly still confusion. One person went to a post office in the north and was told uk plated cars do not need to pay as they cannot be called up on the system. Another rang the Via Verde helpline and spoke to an english speaker who said that UK plated cars cannot register for Via Verde. Both of which were wrong, and these are from the official bodies operating the scheme. :?
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Just over one month to before the sh1t hits the fan! :P
James Faro
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by James Faro »

Michael Crane wrote:Just over one month to before the sh1t hits the fan! :P
Be interesting to see if this poll-tax for cars affects tourism for 2011 when enough data is collected for analysis.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Michael Crane wrote:Just over one month to before the sh1t hits the fan! :P
Being Portugal, I suspect it will take a lot longer :wink:
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

I actually don't think it will have any affect on tourism at all. It is just an inconvenience which the car hire companies will be blamed for by most people. :roll:
Aitch
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aitch »

I dont quite understand why everybody is expecting the car rental companies to come up with a solution.

When you rent a car in London nobody explains the congestion charge and how it works, and it is the same in other parts of europe. The hirer is left to work it out for himself. When I worked in Norway, it was only through talking to somebody in a bar that I found out about the tolls in Trondheim, and I had to go and post pay for three days!

The rental companies will either have to give the driver details, or if fined themselves, they will just take it from your credit card, plus a hefty admin charge I would imagine
bife73
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by bife73 »

Aitch wrote:I dont quite understand why everybody is expecting the car rental companies to come up with a solution.

When you rent a car in London nobody explains the congestion charge and how it works, and it is the same in other parts of europe. The hirer is left to work it out for himself. When I worked in Norway, it was only through talking to somebody in a bar that I found out about the tolls in Trondheim, and I had to go and post pay for three days!

The rental companies will either have to give the driver details, or if fined themselves, they will just take it from your credit card, plus a hefty admin charge I would imagine

I totally agree!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Aitch wrote:I dont quite understand why everybody is expecting the car rental companies to come up with a solution.

When you rent a car in London nobody explains the congestion charge and how it works
Yes, a reasonable point. The difference, however, is that where London uses ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), the Portuguese system requires a physical transponder device in the car, so it would be nice if these came with the rental car rather than the hirer having to source one and then rent and return it.

But on the other hand, the upside:
Aitch wrote:The rental companies will either have to give the driver details, or if fined themselves, they will just take it from your credit card, plus a hefty admin charge I would imagine
I do remember reading somewhere that the rental companies responsibility is only to supply the driver's name and address, not to pay the fine. An additional administrative burden, similar to the London system, but one which will end up in the rental charges no doubt.

Mind you, speaking as a property rental owner, who cares about our guests, I'd like to be able to give them the correct information prior to arrival !
I'll bet your memories as a tourist in Trondheim are tainted by your experience.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Plus it can be paid by mobile or on the internet. No queuing. No trying to find out where to pay.