Ryanair cabin luggage

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Ryanair cabin luggage

Post by laserblazer »

This will be our first trip with them. Our walk-on cases are probably at the limit. When full, they may just go in the gauge thing with a bit of a shove. We've never had a problem with EJ and don't want to get caught out with extra charges if we can help it.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Ryanair cabin luggage

Post by bruce »

We flew to Carcassonne with them a couple of months back and they were very keen on luggage requirements.
1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (from their website).
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

Ryanair has a reputation for looking for every opportunity to extract money from its customers. I would be very wary of arriving with cabin luggage which does not strictly meet their stated requirements. I have only flown Ryanair once and was not impressed. I object to the company´s customer service philosophy. O´Leary has said if you don´t like it don´t fly with us. I don´t.
Colana
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Colana »

Hi,

I flew to Derry with Ryanair for the first time a couple of months ago. My hand baggage was modest and would not have raised an eyebrow with Monarch or BMI, my usual carriers to Faro, but I was made to put in in the hold at the Departure desk and they demanded £30 on the spot, in cash. Had I needed to pay by card, I would have had to have gone back to the desk to pay, thereby missing my flight. A young chap, in a similar position did have to forego his flight as he didn't have enough cash on him..
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

I flew with Ryan for the first time in July and I realised that as long as you don't exceed their limits or waver from their rules then all goes well. From what I saw cabin luggage was not monitored at check-in but at boarding which means if the bag is over size or weight then you have little or no time to change it and you have to pay an extra £35 for the bag to go in the hold so be warned :wink:
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Ryan Air now sell their own specification of case on their site.

But don,t thinl that it is just Ryan Air, Easy jet do it as well. They may be more generous with the wt and size of your hand luggage but if you have more than 1 pce or oustide of the limits you will have to pay as well.
At Bristol these checks are done at check in and for on line bookers at the gate.

We have seen many fall foul of the rules and have to pay and put their bags in the hold.

It was fun watching women with fashionably large handbags trying to hide these from the team at the gate as no way would they get them in their hand baggage.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Ryanair are probably the most profitable, sound and safe airline in the world.

They do not make their money from wise travellers who read all the terms and conditions.
They make their money from idiots who believe that any business can carry you and your luggage, and feed you along the way all for £1.00

Just read their website carefully.
wee beanz
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by wee beanz »

We have only used ryanair twice. We flew back from Majorca on Friday evening. My husband who is now disabled after an accident a few years ago has difficulty walking and we requested "wheelchair assistance" when we booked online. He got the wheelchair assistance to the gate no problem and then it was a mad rush by passengers for their speedy boarding, a few were caught out as they had bought drink and cigarrettes at the duty free and expected to walk on board with their one item of hand baggage but also their carrier bag with duty free, no way!, but in fairness to ryanair it does tell you that duty free, handbags, laptops etc must be included in your one piece of hand luggage. However,after all passengers were on board the porters arrived back for the 3 wheelchairs lined up, to take them to the aircraft door and on getting to the door were greeted by ryanairs finest "trolley dolly" who told my husband and the other 2 wheelchair users that their seats were at the back of the plane, as "we didn't know there were people in wheelchairs getting on the flight", I thought all hell was going to break loose, and even the pilot came out the cockpit to see what all the commotion was and offered to physically carry the disabled passengers to the back of the plane himself (fortunately for him all 3 passengers declined his kind offer) so it was with great difficulty that they struggled to row 32,the second back row. We only used ryanair to return from majorca as it was a lot cheaper than jet2.com whom we had flown out with but to be quite honest with you I dont think we shall ever use them again, I think with Ryanair you only get what you pay for! One of the stewards turned to me and said "Huh some people have no manners", as a passenger pushed past him getting off, he was quite right in what he was saying but I think in his kind of job there are times when he really must say nothing but have a good mutter under his breath. :lol:
malrc
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by malrc »

this probably should be in the jokes section but it is on topic. maybe not safe to play at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYH ... r_embedded
Bristle Si

Post by Bristle Si »

laserblazer wrote:This will be our first trip with them. Our walk-on cases are probably at the limit. When full, they may just go in the gauge thing with a bit of a shove. We've never had a problem with EJ and don't want to get caught out with extra charges if we can help it.
I can't believe anyone needs to even discuss this. Unless people have been living on Mars for the last few years everyone knows about Ryanair and its practices - it's not like they even discreetly hide their 'rules' these days! If anyone does not like the way they operate then don't fly with them - simples! If anyone decides they want to chance it or are fully OK with the way they operate then fly with them. Couldn't be any simpler really - could it?! :shock:
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Based on such sound and tactfully presented advice, I've just checked our bags and we are well within the height and width, it's only if we overfill them slightly they will go beyond the 20cm depth. So we won't be taking any chances.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Mr Blazer, you know my comments were not aimed at you personally :wink:

Poor treatment of passengers aside, I just have little sympathy with those who "complain" about Ryanair's weird business practices. If one follows the rules, cheap travel is possible, but the rules are indeed complex.

** STOP PRESS ** ** STOP PRESS ** ** STOP PRESS **
Ryanair have announced flights from LGW to Faro commencing October 30th 2010.

I think this is great news as the recent acquisition of Britania (BA) by easyJet has meant that easyJet had too much dominance on this route, and hopefully the competitor will keep easyJet flight costs down. Checking random flights in Nov., one can fly with either of these carriers for around £50.00 round trip - without any checked Luggage. The xtras vary significantly between them, so comparison can only realistically be done at the very final click. e.g. easyJet carry on is the same size as Ryanair, but no weight limit. Ryanair looks slightly cheaper until you come to pay the "mandatory" credit card fee (a.k.a. administration fee) of £10.00 EACH way.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

you know my comments were not aimed at you personally
Yours was the sound advice Richard :)
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

If you are like me laser you are just worried about Ryan Air because you have read all of the horror stories and you are a Ryan Air virgin. Believe me it's not anywhere near as bad as the stories but you just have to read the rules and abide by them to avoid the extra costs. From my experience their version of speedy boarding is better because they have a seperate queue thus avoiding the usual scramble but of course you have to be there when boarding commences.
Following on from weebeanzs point I would say that a fault is that people in wheelchairs are loaded last and are seated at the back of the plane. At small airports I suppose they use the rear door but if only the front door is used then there are problems as weebeanz mentions. We flew to a small airport where there wasn't a lift so a relative who was in in a wheelchair was actually carried down the steps by 2 guys using a stretcher type board - starnge but it worked. :D
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I think you're right cereza. It's not knowing what to expect.