Bar/Restaurant Advice

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Bar/Restaurant Advice

Post by starsky »

Hi all,
Has anyone got any suggestions for bars which would be suitable to take a 4yr old to. Preferably somewhere with entertainment of some description. Also any restaraunts with the same. I'm visiting for the first time next week so any pointers would be appreciated.
One other thing, I have seen numerous posts with directions which have mentioned the 'in' and 'out' roads. Can someone please clarify the name of these roads. I have a habit of being out when I should be in especially when it comes to fashion..
Cheers,
Mark
e-richard

Re: Bar/Restaurant Advice

Post by e-richard »

The reason road names are hardly used is that
a) they are hard to remember and pronounce
but more importantly
b) road name signs are non-existent in Carvoeiro, so it useless info
and
c) the descriptions of the three main roads (in road, out road and restaurant hill) will be immediately obvious when you arrive.

Pretty much every single restaurant will welcome children, but a mention perhaps of Villa Medici and Vimar (both towards the top of restaurant hill (sic)) because they have children's play areas - swings etc.

Entertainment varies each night, just look for the signs.

Enjoy and don't worry. Its all much easier when you see it ;-)
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

In road = Rua dos Pescadores
Out road = Rua Barranco
Restaurant hill = Estrada do Farol
All clearly marked on the Freemap which is generally available in shops & bars. http://www.freemaps.net

Not that hard to pronounce & useful to remember for the benefit of taxi drivers.

Most bars welcome children, though I don't know any that provide entertainment specifically for them. Monte Carvoeiro often used to have some entertainers in the square in the evenings.
We on the otherhand, now all our children are grown up, are trying to find bars that don't welcome them in, at least after 9 or 10pm. :D
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Just to state what we all know is obvious and you wouldnt, the In and out roads are one way! so "In" is one way towards the beach, "Out" is one way towards Lagoa. as said its easy and you will soon get the hang of it - look at the maps on the start of this web site.

The other point is that restaurant "hill" is a steep one and if you have to carry the 4 yr old - it might be quite a walk to the top - unless you are coming down of course :D The In and out rds are relatively flat
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Thanks for all the advice and all taken onboard.
I'm very much looking forward to my visit as are my family.
Only 7 more sleeps to go....
Mark
bessieboo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bessieboo »

i Starsky,

Lucky you - only six sleeps now then! We got back last week after our 4th year there - our daughter is 4yrs old & whilst we didn't actually take her into any bars I can say that every restaurant we used were very child friendly. Most hand out lollies & sweets & make a big fuss of the little ones. Lanterna on restaurant hill is a bit pricey but has a lovely wendy house for the children to play in. Don't know where you're staying, but if you go to the square at Mount Carvoeiro, you'll find outdoor bars, a good cocktail bar, some nice restaurants, (O Salmao my personal favourite) all set around a water fountain. Most children spend their entire evenings running around this & playing. Our daughter spent many an evening doing this & made some lovely friends. Enjoy!
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

If your 4 year old needs a fix of good old sausage and chips or a quiet place to eat after a busy day on the beach, then I'd recommend Ma Jas. It's a great place to take young kids as Mark and Jan look after them really well, colouring books etc.
starsky
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by starsky »

Hi there,
Thanks once again for the advice.
O'Salmao is one of the restaurants on my must do list. As for the other two mentioned I will put them on my list(with all the others)
As we are there for two weeks we have plenty of time to sample different places. I'm going to have to get my trousers altered when I get back....
It's actually five sleeps now .....not counting or anything!
Cheers,
Mark