Portugal: best value for holidays

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
e-richard

Portugal: best value for holidays

Post by e-richard »

Well, according to the Daily Telegraph it is
It calculated that the price of a basket of goods that holidaymakers often buy when abroad - including a local beer, a meal out, and a cup of coffee – had dropped from almost £67 last year to less than £39 in 2010 in Portugal, making it the best value for money.
I wonder where they went on holiday ?
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Portugal: best value for holidays

Post by sam »

Vilamoura 2009, Quarteira 2010?
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

Certainly not Carvoeiro, I would think Praia Da Rocha, Pint of Beer 1€, (a pint not a caneca 40cl) 3 course lunch around 7 € both seen in several places last week right on the sea front. Cup of coffee in most supermarket coffee shops in the area 70cents.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Do not be fooled by the " so called " happy hours in some resorts in the Algarve .
Yes you can get a beer for 1 euro ( the smallest measure they serve ) certainly not a canneca.
The seafront places in Carvoerio are no more expensive than any similar located bars etc in Albufeira, Lagos, Villamoura.Luz etc.

Even Golf is getting better value, we have paid E45, 43 and 35 each incl a buggy for a round in the last 3 weeks, and with the £ at E1.16 + ( tourist rate ) life is feeling a little better.
dj sull
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by dj sull »

I visited Carvoeiro in september 2007 after a long absence and couldn't believe how cheap it was in comparison to somewhere like Mallorca. When I came back in september 2009 everything seemed to have almost doubled in price. After reading EMM's post it seems like prices are coming down a bit. If things carry on like this, by september 2011, will Carvoeiro once again be a reasonably cheap place to holiday? What do you think?
Bristle Si

Post by Bristle Si »

I'll reserve judgement on prices and value for money until we come out in Sept.

When it comes to 'large' beers remember we're talking about 0.4L in most bars, that's almost 2/3 of a pint, so it ain't large!

Just got back from San Stef in Corfu and a large Mythos in bars and restaurants was 2.50 euros - in some places that was 0.5L bottles, so pretty good value - one bar had a large one for only 2 euros.

CVO will be a good test of how prices are in places where business is tough - i presume they're still selling a vodka + coke in those stupid 20cl glasses!
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

We eat almost every week in the seafront restaurants in & around Albufeira & they are generally considerably cheaper than seafront restaurants in Carvoeiro. However there are few seafront restaurants in Carvoeiro & I suppose they can charge a premium for their location. Personally we haven't seen much difference in prices in Carvoeiro in the 4+ years that we've been living in Portugal, though I have noticed that certain bars now serve their drinks in much smaller/slimmer glasses with more ice & less alcohol, a trick used in English pubs & bars for many years.
dodger
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by dodger »

Pretty sure at New Year I paid 3 euros for a sagres in Sullys....roll on 6 months and I paid 3.50!!!

Cvo has certainly seen prices increase sharply in the 10 or so years I have been going and not all of it is due to the exchange rate.
Bristle Si

Post by Bristle Si »

blue wrote:though I have noticed that certain bars now serve their drinks in much smaller/slimmer glasses with more ice & less alcohol, a trick used in English pubs & bars for many years.
Not in pubs i use in BTL- if you don't want ice you just tell the barman/barmaid.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

I agree with the last poster just sya NO ICE and you get a full drink at the same price. Much better value.
kappa
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by kappa »

In fact, Sully´s put up prices - one small beer 1,80 €! But there are many bars to go to with "normal prices" and friendly service until late (LSD/ ZECA´S ...)!
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

With the £ getting close to E1.24 highest for 19 months maybe we will start to see a more happy faces around. :D
The_Quiet_Man
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by The_Quiet_Man »

Some of the comments re costs on CVO are making me consider another resort tbh.

We were last in CVO in October 2006 .. and I'm fearing prices might be a shock! :(