The new square

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Caron
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: The new square

Post by Caron »

There was no park and ride when I was out there last week. Is it only in the summer months?
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

Whenever I look at the webcam (from Matabixo) it is sooo boring compared to the "old" square, no beer trucks or buses unloading, no parking/traffic tie-ups , no people (at least now in the off sesason) - boring. I can't wait to see it and experience it all for myself come January.
kteee

Post by kteee »

The park and ride was only in operation in the summer
Mike,Chislehurst
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike,Chislehurst »

The Matabixo webcam has been off for a few days now along with the beach one which seems to be one shot a day! Are this company in trouble? Ferragudo and Praia Da Rocha down as well
Bristle Si

Post by Bristle Si »

Mike,Chislehurst wrote:The Matabixo webcam has been off for a few days now along with the beach one which seems to be one shot a day! Are this company in trouble? Ferragudo and Praia Da Rocha down as well
The dutch couple that used to run the beach toys shop next to Bar Charly (they sold this summer, due to poor business) also were involved with the algarve webcams business. It could be something to do with their situ.

They were renting up at Monte CVO in the cul-de-sac we stay in, but returned to Holland whilst we were there in Sept. Not coming back either.
Mike,Chislehurst
CVO Master
CVO Master

Someone mentioned a while ago that there are plans to re arrange the traffic through the square, anymore news on that?
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

The 'rumour' has it that the architect responsible for designing The Square is Lisbon based and designed what he believed to be a practical alternative to the previous.

Not knowing or understanding the logistics of the The Square (people wandering all over the place) he designed what a person in Lisbon believed to be appropriate and we ended up with the current arrangement. It has been proposed by the Lagoa Camara to Central Government that the layout is dangerous (apparently there have been several incidents involving people and traffic) and it needs to be redesigned. This was acknowledged by Lisbon back in September but as you can see nothing has changed.

I suspect we will wake up one morning with The Square full of diggers and pandemonium will return - who knows :D
Mike,Chislehurst
CVO Master
CVO Master

Thanks for that ( I think!)
redford
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by redford »

Are we surprised??? Oh course it is dangerous, an accident waiting to happen!!!

And those lines of metal posts, surely they can find something a little more in keeping with the area??
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

You will see the metal posts All over the Algarve now, They are the only prctical way to keep the cars off the pavements.
redford
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by redford »

EMM wrote:You will see the metal posts All over the Algarve now, They are the only prctical way to keep the cars off the pavements.
In the town where I live in the UK we have posts to keep cars off pavements which fit in perfectly well with their surroundings!! There surely has to be a more suitable product available in PT, metal posts may look okay in a new area but in Carvoeiro IMO no??
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Mike - I note your cynicism but I was told all of this during a social event where 3 prominent Lagoa Camara members were present. They were not terribly impressed that Central Government should impose something (the design) on them when they have plenty of capable people in Lagoa who are familiar with the needs of local people and would have done a far better job - those were more or less the words used and certainly inferred :?

As we all know there is little love lost between Lisbon and The Algarve :)
Rob F
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rob F »

shanagarry wrote:"the architect responsible for designing The Square"
So this fool actually once went to university to come up with something like this??? My nephew of 10 could have done a better job, pity they did not ask him...
Last edited by Rob F on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Rob - your spelling shows you certainly didn't go to University - or was it closed that day :D
Rob F
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rob F »

I'm afraid it was... :wink: