Hire car insurance

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Hire car insurance

Post by destroyer »

I bought a policy last year to cover excesses applying to insurances which are part of a hire car deal. However, as I won't be travelling abroad so much this year I'm thinking it may not be the best way of dealing with this. As a matter of interest, does anybody know what Drive 4 Fun charge on a daily basis to waive excesses/extend cover to tyres, glass etc?
Given the discussion on the Sevis situation, I'm wondering if it might be easier (if not necessarily cheaper) to handle this through the vehicle provider. I imagine it would make matters more straightforward at least if I did have a claim.
Thanks.
sanreen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Hire car insurance

Post by sanreen »

Destroyer, we use drive 4 fun every time and don't pay anything else except the price quoted, we go through Economy Car Hire. This includes fully comp insurance, driving into Spain and additional drivers.
Mike,Chislehurst
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Mike,Chislehurst »

If you go direct to drive4Fun, they will want extra to cover the excess. ECH best bet and almost certainly cheaper for D4F
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Apologies, I should have said I am booking through ECH. However, although I've used them for some years, this is first time with D4F. Last year used ECH (can't recall which hire co.) and was offered "top up" cover at the desk. Think it was 4 Euros a day to waive excess and to include tyres, glass, interior, underside, locks etc., all of which were excluded under the "comprehensive" cover offered.
sanreen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sanreen »

We always use Drive4Fun and have had excellent service from them. On some occasions they have also upgraded our car. We have never been asked to pay for any additional insurance cover.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Point taken. However, the following is taken from the ECH website so please don't assume full cover is in force:

"Our insurance includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) with no insurance excess liability and Theft Loss Waiver (TLW) with no liability in the event that the vehicle is stolen. Also covered is third party and public liability insurance. Two drivers are always covered as standard. Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) is not normally included in our package; however, this should be covered by your travel insurance policy. Certain parts of the vehicle such as the wheels, tyres, locks, roof, glass parts of the vehicle (including the windscreen), the underside and interior are not covered by the insurance as they are normally damaged as a result of negligence. Top-up insurance is sometimes offered at the time of collection to cover damage to these items."

I'll contact ECH to see what they say re top up cover and advise.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

For info, have received the following response from ECH:

"Thank you for your email.

Drive for Fun do not offer any additional insurance.

We offer top-up insurance to cover damage to the glass parts, tyres and underside of the vehicle which can be purchased when booking online for an additional £1 per day. In the event of any damage to the mentioned items, the supplier would charge for the damage initially and then clients are able to process a claim through the independent insurance company on their return home. This additional insurance can only be purchased at the time the booking is placed online. Unfortunately, we are unable to add it to a booking retrospectively.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries"

Prompt response but I can honestly say I don't recall this offer when I booked. I'll be buying my own cover.
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

destroyer wrote:....Prompt response but I can honestly say I don't recall this offer when I booked. I'll be buying my own cover.
I added it to my recent Spain booking when I booked via the web pages. Also, when picking up the car I was asked if I wanted it at the desk, until I produced my copy of the insurance.

If you get something else to replace it and it costs less than £1 per day, let me know will you?