Look out tower

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Look out tower

Post by Geoff »

Anyone walked east from Caneiros beach ( west of CVO ) lately?
The lovely old tower , I presume an old lookout/signal tower , has partially fallen down.
Due to earthquake , vandals or old age? Any one know?
It's actually dangerous , as more stone could fall.
Is the local camera liable to make it safe?
White Rabbit 2
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Look out tower

Post by White Rabbit 2 »

Dont know how the tower fell down , but dont wait for the camra to sort it out , there was a derelict building on the in road of CVO with dangerous glass hanging from a window , I complained many times and nothing was done , in the end I took a blanket and hammer and got rid of the window myself !!
Grrrrr :roll:
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

The old bakery, WR2? Took 15 years, but those windows have now been closed with bricks, imho not the prettiest solution if you want to beautify the in-road, but hey... :lol:
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Thanks to one of my walking colleague Ken,I now know that the tower is the Watchtower of Lapa or Torre Vigia da Lapa and was built in the 17th century. It's purpose was to look out to the ocean and the mouth of the Arade river to guard against possible invaders.
It's all detailed ion a free booklet published by Lagoa....but its a shame that a big part of it has now crumbled.....possibly due to earthquake, possibly due to people scrambling up the loose stone.
There's no sign of any attempt to repair it.
It is on a lovley stretch of coast, well worth walking to , and admiring the vista.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

well it was like this in 2001
P5150022.JPG
P5150022.JPG (211.52 KiB) Viewed 13060 times
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

The seaward side looks the same : it's the opposite side that has come down ( I would guess about a fifth of the circumpherence)......wil take a photo in April, unless anyone fancies a walk up there first, and posts it here.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

there in 2 weeks - will do a photo - when I saw it in Nov, the other side was almost ground level
JWT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by JWT »

Did that lady in the photograph realise that there was a bl***dy great big spider crawling down that tower above her head. Hope she was OK :D
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Why do you think I told her to pose there :twisted:
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I think JWT gets the reward fror the most amusing quip on the Forum.....I smile whenever I look at the photo.....knocks the spots of most of the " humour" that clutters up the Forum!
Well done!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Agreed I (and my wife - the model) were most amused :D
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I've never found this tower. Where is it and how do you get to it?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Farol
Simplest way to get to the tower is to drive and park at the Caneiros beach .....drive from Carvoeiro to Ferraguedo via Sesmarias and its about half way on the left....at the bottom of a steep hill, before you go up the other side..... turn left.....there is a lot of parking, expensive sea restaurant and a lovely beach.

Then walk left along the cliff edge ( not too close!) with the sea on your right for about a mile, and you will come across the tower.

Good hunting.....my Trafalgar Day walk last year went there ( see viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19661) and we will be doing it again in April/May when we come out again.
Geoff
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

You can actually drive almost to it - as you go from Sesmarias towards ferragudo on the top rd, over the island and go left, after 500-1000m there is a small rd on the LHS (dirt track) and a large house under construction (has been for a couple of years) if you go along there and carefully follow it, you come to a large open parking area and the tower is obvious on the right.

You cna see it clearly on Google maps if you follow the coast along from CVO towards Portimao
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

....if you follow Macassa's route, do watch out for the numerous deep potholes.....I think most carhire companies would classify the track as " off road" and you are liable to damaged exhausts etc.....perhaps best to park in the Boa Vista development ( on right, after the roundabout/island that Macassa mentions ) and walk!