Is it safe anymore?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
wattsey
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Is it safe anymore?

Post by wattsey »

Hi Guys

We are coming up to our second anniversary of owning a property on Rocha Brava (having first visited CVO some 5 years ago). Between myself, my wife and family we probably visit between 6 to 10 times a year (boys weekends, girls weekends and family breaks in school hols).

It has been depressing to read all the negative comments which seem to have started around 6 months ago regarding rowdiness/noise and a general downward spiral of CVO.

Personally I have never witnessed anything untoward and have had some late nights and lots of drinks on our lads weekends (I am sure my wife and friends have too!). It is sad that people in the vicinity of the square have had problems and a shame some people can't realise when enough is enough and simply go home reasonably quietly - there's always tomorrow.

Our end of season 'tennis' weekend is coming up on 26th September. Where is safe and where should we avoid?

I would hate to have to think about selling up - we love it in RB and CVO, I think this forum is fantastic and can't think of a better place at the moment to eventually retire to. It just seems there are more and more negative threads on the forum.

Regarding an earlier thread - the guy in the cafe at RB said it was 25% down on last year - it was fantastic as we didn't need to book anywhere, got taxis quickly and got a ringside seat for Ilze!
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

Spent three weeks in August - with a friend and my mother for 2 of those weeks and 1 week by myself. No problems at all in any place that we went. Only noise "out of hours" that I encountered were two young germans fighting/arguing outside my apartment at 5am in the morning. And when I reminded them of the time, they apologised and moved away quietly. I am at the top of Estrada do Farol by the Mirachor, so obviously not as busy there as in the Square, but I did venture down there a couple of times and despite being on the look out for drugs and alchohol abuse, I was sadly disappointed as I saw no evidence of either.

I think it depends who is visiting the town when condemning it as noisy and potentially dangerous.

Have to add that I have never been out past midnight as I am usually tired or have had one too many magheritas ...
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Hi Wattsey
You must remember that this forum represents only a very small sample of people who live in and visit Carvoeiro. Yes I know there have been some break ins, and some rowdiness reported in the square but is anywhere paradise?

If you put it in context of the population against the crime figures i would imagine it is pretty low in comparison with anywhere in the UK.

We have had a property for almost five years in Carvoeiro and have never experienced the kind of trouble in town a few people have reported, perhaps we have been lucky, and have only heard of the kind of robberies occassionally, that to us back home are an every day occurance.

Look forward to using your villa and to enjoying many years of fun in Carvoeiro.
wattsey
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by wattsey »

Thanks for the reassurance.

I will give an update after our trip if anyone is interested.
bradybunch
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Is it safe anymore?

Post by bradybunch »

Is it safe anymore in Carvoeiro? I would say it is as safe as anywhere in Europe. We have had some bad experiences with rowdy tourists. Perhaps because of the time of year or just bad luck but we have been out in early spring,even New Year and not experienced these problems before.I think that this experience is not particularly isololated in season but comparitively rare out of season. I personally feel safer walking around Carvoeiro before midnight than walking in my local town in England.It just makes me very angry that people can have so little consideration for other people on holiday.I enjoy a drink as well as the next person and have enjoyed some fabulous New Year celebrations in Carvoeiro but like to think that even under the influence of a few drinks I still have consideration for other people who don't want to go out and have a few jars. Please do not be put off from visiting Carvoeiro, it's a world wide problem and there will always be those that don't know when they've had enough.Enjoy your holiday.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

The atmosphere in the square in August was great. It was busy but everyone was happy, there were lots of young families enjoying themselves and loads of locals making the most of the live entertainment.

Personally, I think the seedier side of cvo at night is the In Road bars that seem to have a lot of p!ssed Irish, talking very loudly and using the word "fooking" a great deal. I'm not having a go at the Irish, it is probably just that the accent stands out. Irish vsitors no doubt think the same of Scousers. :)
Misty
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Misty »

If Carvoeiro/Algarve isn't safe, then nowhere is. Still I wouldn't class anywhere in the UK as safe.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I get really pissed of at these harbingers of doom. The great thing about Carvoeiro is that it attracts what may euphemistically referred to as "The right kind of people" (OK,,,,and Pato :lol: ) Mainly middle class, retired and professional people who love and respect the gem on the Algarve coast that they have discovered and made their second home.

Yes we will get the occasional football shirted drunken yobbo, but they are the exception, not the norm. Hopefully we will have so little to offer them, they will quickly move on.

If Carvoeiro becomes the sort of place that some posters on this thread fear, then God help the other places! They will become Armageddon!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Bruce Wallis wrote:....Hopefully we will have so little to offer them, they will quickly move on.
I'm not sure who "we" is in the sentence above, but I get a feeling that the local bar owners may not want to be included. With tourism down or not growing, they are having a tough time of it, and catering only to the "The right kind of people" who mainly go to bed before midnight after one or two drinks is not helping their bottom line.

I suspect its actually in their interests to promote a somewhat younger crowd, but if they do it responsibly (as posted by Brady's Bar in a similar discussion), I'm sure its in all of our interests.
Misty
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Misty »

Actually, there's a bar near us and they shut up shop when they hear troublemakers coming. They don't want the hassle. They also don't want the GNR to be called out when trouble does start which could lead to them being closed down for good.
philzech
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by philzech »

We have just returned from another wonderful week in CVO, beautiful weather, lovely food, great staff, we also visited in July for 2 weeks. During these 3 weeks we saw nothing of this so called "rowdiness", yes the occassional loud british tourist, who should know better,( we are not talking 18-25 year olds here,). I just wish people wouldnt be so negative , yes , bars are open later, yes, it is attracting a younger audience, but people have to move with the times, businesses have to open later to make ends meet, as previous posts have mentioned visitor numbers are down. The "fishing village of 20 years ago with its 2 bars and 3 restaurants" is gone forever, I just wish people would come to terms with that fact and just enjoy your time there when we have the chance to holiday in CVO.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

I agree with most of what you say Phil except I do think Carvoeiro does maintain the fishing village ambience. Its a small place, the size can't be changed but its perfect for a family holiday.
It has changed somewhat since we lived there, but because its small and you have the fishing boats on the beach(albeit for tours round the coastline now) I think it keeps the fishing village atmosphere?
White Rabbit 2
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re : happy to be home

Post by White Rabbit 2 »

I went to Co Durham for August this year , have always stayed here ( CVO )during August ( mainly busiest time of year for work ) , but have to admit as have a child thought would go and visit friends.

Area beautiful , people lovely , rain cold and wet , really loved it BUT I missed all the CVO fun , the concerts , kareoke , etc and the sunshine.

There are always rumours at the start of the summer , this bar , that bar , fights etc , as already said , very few problems , and it makes people read about the place.

I think half of it contrived to make others look bad , take it as you find.
:lol:
I wont complain again about not being able to park at beach , Next year i am staying at home , In CVO for the summer.
suziebear
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Rowdy nights in Carvoeiro???

Post by suziebear »

After running pubs in the UK for the past 16 years, Carvoeiro is an absolute dream - believe me. Its not exactly your Benidorm or Ibiza now is it. Relax and enjoy! :)
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

I really didn't want to post this since it disturbed me greatly.

I was waiting for a taxi at about 1.30am on Saturday/Sunday morning when it all 'kicked off' in the square.

Having grown up with a violent relative I am no stranger to aggression but the overflow of violence (emanating, I believe, from the clientele of Sully's) was as bad as I have witnessed. One guy was being so badly kicked that I was on the verge of stepping in when my wife dragged me away. The GNR were VERY slow in arriving and with the amount of bottles being smashed and thrown around I would be surprised if there were no serious injuries.

My children are still reasonably young but one of the great things I have always believed about Carvoeiro is that, when they reach that age, it is a place that they can visit and do all the things that we did when we were young without any serious risk. (and let's face it, most of us have done some pretty daft things). However, this puts things into a new perspective - in my view an innocent young person could have easily been caught up in this and the consequences would have been far more than a major hangover.

I don't want to be a harbinger of doom but the events that I saw on that night were very ugly. I hope that this can be fixed by the relevant authorities very soon so that the Carvoeiro that I know and love can return asap.