Carvoeiro in decline

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Carvoeiro in decline

Post by R.Wethereyet »

A report issued earlier this month by AHETA the Algarve Association for Hotels and Tourism, has stated that this has been the worst August in memory for visitors to the region.
Carvoeiro was one of the worst hit areas with figures down by 10.1%.
Furthermore a local multiple restaurant owner claimed recently that his business was down over 20% on last year

In contradiction to this, Faro airport experienced an increase of 1.5% over last year!

So what is happening to Carvoeiro.

Is it down to a lack of foresight by Camara planners - all the new building that has happened over the last 5 years, and an infrastructure that can't cope. Estrada Farol on an evening is an accident waiting to happen.

Is it the overpricing at local supermarkets which each August seem to increase massively for certain food items, whilst the quality and service declines.

Or is it that the centre of CVO has become quite run down, and doesn't project itself as an upmarket resort.

One only needs to look at the massive investment in places like Alvor, Praia de Rocha, Ferragudo and Silves, with palm fringed pedestrian areas and vehicle free zones that have been created to give visitors pleasant and safe surroundings to enjoy their holiday experience to maybe understand why.

Perhaps in the not too distant future, the centre of CVO will be back to its sleepy old fishing village image, with a few restaurants, bars and shops.

I hope it never comes to this.
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

Dear Mr. Wethereyet in case you don't understand alot of us like the sleepy, not upscale, look of CVO. You are the first person that I have ever heard complain about this. I only hope that you take your negativeism to Siles or Alvor. :x
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

It would appear that I'm not the only one who has this opinion as the 10.1% decline in visitors shows.
Still the odd tumbleweed blowing down a deserted Estrada do Farol to the square is always worth seeing.
Lets hope the web cams are still working in the closed down businesses so you will still be able to see it.
Sharen Crane
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Sharen Crane »

I expect the biggest reason for the decline in visitors is because of the economy! People are saving their money for essentials, like paying their mortgages and buying fuel!

We love CVO as it is, god help us if it became more like Albufeira or Villamoura!

We recently returned from Turkey and they have the same problem, but they understand that eventually everything will return to "normal" and tourism will improve in time!
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Agreed Canada :)

RW, I think theres a deal of difference in 'size' between Carvoeiro and the likes of Silves, Alvor, Praia da Rocha?you can't make Carvoeiro bigger than it is.

For me, Carvoeiro has always held that 'fishing village' ambience..and thats why so many of us are drawn to it.

Don't you think all holiday places have there 'down' times? A lot of this could be down to the credit crunch and people are watching their money, worried about the future, their jobs, homes?

I hope your miserable foretelling of tumbleweed blowing through Estrada do Farol never happens...I don't believe it will, when so many of us here will always be wanting to visit our favourite spot,
cheer up :)
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

It may be a little short sighted and selfish, but I have no difficulty with the prospect of retiring to a quite village, byepassed by the hoi poloi and great unwashed. I suspect that the majority of us feel the same way.
Obvious those who take a significant income from lettings may feel concern, but I believe that there will always be a class of person looking for exactly what we offer.
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

I also do not want to see the centre of CVO turned into an Albufeira or Praia da Rocha in terms of size, but I do want to see it presented in a more favourable way. Certainly the 'centre' cannot be transformed, but it could be spruced up, what is wrong with that.
I am not as bigoted to make the comment regarding the hoi polloi (Greek for Great Unwashed) as many wealthy visitors could also fall into this category, and from an earlier thread 'Rowdy nights in Carvoeiro', this seems to be borne out. Most of the culprits are 'well off' visitors who don't know how to conduct themselves.
Furthermore the difference in my original post regarding my concerns, and the replies it has received is that I live in Carvoeiro, I don't just holiday here, and having done so for many years, have a greater interest in my community and what is happening to it. I also pay many thousands of euros in tax each year for this privilege, and I also support the local businesses 52 weeks a year. The last thing I want is to see all my local friends restaurants, bars and other businesses close, and for all the other contributors favourite places not be there for them when they visit.
I am sure if everybody else on here saw their local community in decline they would feel the same.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Sorry RW, I didn't look properly and never realised that you live out there.

Yes, I can understand if you see changes and a decline in your surroundings, specially as you say, you have to pay thousands in euros for tax.

So what you're looking for is a clean up of the area?

I haven't lived there for a long time (Lagoa in 90s) but I do have friends there who run restaurants(Lagoa & Carvoeiro) and a couple who run pastelarias. I would be very sad indeed to see any of them go out of business too :(

I agree that it isn't always the lower income bracket visitors & families that cause problems, in fact often the opposite and Ive seen quite a few 'well off' merchants being greatly under the influence and rowdy!

But from what Ive read on this forum, isn't there going to be a new system around the square, regarding parking etc? Maybe that will make it all look and work better?
Boa sorte
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

No problems Ellie.

Yes the improvements to the square/out road will make a bit of difference, but the down side is, that in summer when the out road from the square closes, restaurant hill will be the only route out of the centre. Couple this with parking problems - the multi storey car park will be years away - and the numbers of pedestrians that have to use this road because the pavements double up as parking spaces, it will be a create major problem, and as I have said before, somebody will get badly injured. Furthermore, who will want to dine at a restaurant terrace, with a constant stream of traffic driving past.
The planners at the Camara have no idea when they dream up these new schemes.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

The real problem, as I see it, is that the CAMRA see Carvoeiro as a cash cow to benefit Lagoa, and see little need to re-invest in Carvoeiro
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

Got it in one Bruce. That's why they keep approving planning permission for an endless supply of villas and holiday complexes.

Apparently the latest news is that we are to have yet another Pestana golf course at the back of Sesmarias, which means more properties.

Hopefully the forthcoming local elections might produce a unified political party, and that means we might get a fairer share of the investment from the Camara.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Still think that if smilers got rid of the tacky plastic red tables and chairs it would improve that corner of the square no end.
Misty
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Misty »

Does AHETA's report include figures for the people who now go self-catering, booking directly with the owners, rather than staying in hotels?

Also, with money being tighter than usual for a lot of people, self-catering as opposed to staying in a hotel is also helped by not eating out so often, which would also mean a drop in figures for local restaurants. Maybe though, it doesn't mean less visitors. It has still been very busy in Carvoeiro this summer. I don't think less investment in the area has anything to so with it - yet!
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

No, obviously AHETA only includes figures from hotels and registered tourist complexes. Private villas etc aren't included, and presumably the owners wouldn't want to openly divulge this information. Having said that I know numerous property owners, and some have been less than happy this year with their bookings, and for this market to compensate for the Hotel shortfall would be extraordinary.

Ironically Turkey experienced a 20% increase (IATA figures) which is the opposite to what Sharon had found locals were saying.
We recently returned from Turkey and they have the same problem, but they understand that eventually everything will return to "normal" and tourism will improve in time!
Also Egypt, Dubai and the Caribbean all experienced an increase in the region of 15%, all of which are outside the Eurozone, as is Turkey for the moment. So Brits are still holidaying abroad, but are looking for either value for money or quality.

Unfortunately the recession will be with us for some time, and the Euro will never get back to it's heady days of 1.40 - 1.50. so for Carvoeiro to keep its' popularity and its much needed income stream, it needs to do something.
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

Look at the increase in the number of villas & apartments being built & rented out, most people prefer the self-catering option these days, more freedom, more room, better food (hopefully). Of course the hotels & complex figures are going to go down. I think a lot of the people who rent their properties may have trouble filling them because of the increase in competition & generally the newer properties are better insulated, better equipped & come with all mod cons. But we have been told by our bar/shop/restaurant owning friends in Carvoeiro that it was quieter this year, having said that they seem to say that every year.
I think next year with the credit crunch & all it is really going to be quiet people aren't booking their holidays because they don't know if they will be able to afford them.