Carvoeiro's best!!!

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Henriëtte
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Henriëtte »

Vote for the owner of Charly's bar, very friendly person.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Difficult one this! I can think of a number of very helpful friendly locals. Our pool cleaner Dario, the lady who runs a coffee shop in Lagoa (the one on the same side as the Chinese rest.), but top place would go to Anibal at Vila Nova restaurant. He is very charming, always welcoming and has time for a chat (he is our prime source for local gossip)!! Dave.
Ellie

coffee shop

Post by Ellie »

Think you mean Maria --in the pastelaria same side as chinese restaurant -- she & brother run it--they with their parents used to have little supermercado near there (just past park) before they pedestrianised it all --I was regular customerwhen living there--lovely family.Elle.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Pastelaria

Post by djprescott »

Elle - I think we are talking about the same place - it has black & yellow counter, table & chairs etc, a bit 60's ish. We go there regularly when we go into Lagoa. We prefer to go somewhere that the locals would go rather that the touristy places. I think Lagoa is very underated, we often have a walk around for a couple of hours or go there in the evening. Dave.
Ellie

friendly folk

Post by Ellie »

Thats the one Dave-such nice people--and youre going about it the right way by going to where the locals eat --get to know the real people --and d'you know, they never forget you. I didnt get to see Maria for a couple of years --yet she and her brother saw me pass by, called out and made me feel so at home. Thats never happened here yet in UK!
When they had the little supermaket, they often "got" things for me(there was no big hypermaket then)--0ne day I was looking for Tate& Lyles Golden syrup--a favourite item with the lads-there was none. Maria told her brother what I needed--he winked and said"I get some"
When i went the next afternoon --there was a whole shelf full of the tins!
One thing I am sad about in Lagoa is the fact that local authorities have not spent money on sprucing up the poorer areas of the Town(city!)--while they may have "posh" banks and smart buildings of commerce --the back streets are still very much neglected --and that grieves me.
I also preferred it beforeit was pedestrianised--that street was the "hub" and life blood of the place--it may have a been a "pain" at times -but it was alive /bustling and full of street theatre.
Others may not agree with me--its purely a personal opinion.
But,whatever,I still cant wait to get there in 2weeks time! Ellie.
Gordon and Sandy Low
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Gordon and Sandy Low »

I've only been into Lagoa a couple of times and found it a bit dismal.. have I been going to the wrong area?? If so... someone point me in the right direction please!
:(
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

Quite agree with you Elle, the locals always seem to remember you. We didn't know Lagoa before the street was pedestrianised. Where abouts did you live in Lagoa - Elle?
Depends on what you are expecting - Gordon & Sandy. Lagoa reminds us of where we live in England - a small town called Warwick, except Lagoa still seems to be thriving whereas Warwick is pretty much dead now. I can still remember when warwick was very much like Lagoa. There is some nice areas up by the Camara on the Portimao side with the traditional paved ways and cobbled roads and nice gardens with seating areas. We just like walking round somewhere still traditional - perhaps lamenting the loss of character of our own home town! Dave.
Ellie

Lagoa

Post by Ellie »

yes -- I like that area you mention --you mean back of the camara buildings --little park full of Jacaranda trees --in front of the large church-use to love sitting there in hot weather.
Our apartment was near to the "Nossa Senhora" shrine as you go out of Lagoa--behind drogaria/hardware store--indoor market was round to back of us.
Its hard to explain -but it just isnt the same without that main road going through it-it was so alive & bustling.I used to sit in the main park (with the cafe) during my lunch breaks and there was always something (usually crazy) going on! Mind you -I went at xmas/new year,last year -so hope to find it a bit livelier when im there in Sept.!
I dont know your part of the world Dave-Warwick-historically interesting I think?--- nearest ive been is Stratford-on -avon I believe.
Suppose Im being very nostalgic about Lagoa and realise things have to change -but theyre not always for the better.
Speaking of the Camara - Im putting something of them in my next story---dontknow if its same now-but when we were there,they always walked about in black leather jackets and shades ,looking like the Mafia! Our top carpenter (& his family) always seemed afraid of them!
Enjoy your bank holiday, Elle
RandR
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Gambas

Post by RandR »

FIFI wrote:I LOVE GAMBAS
Couldn't agree more FIFI. The post mentions 'Carvoeiro's best'. regarding the food it definately is 'Gamba's .
elle

food!

Post by elle »

Where is Gambas --if its as good as you say--Id like to try it.
loretta
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by loretta »

Im fed up with cvo worst so lets try being positive, I would like to nominate libbe at Happys, he makes you feel welcome he never forgets you when you return the following year and he is very friendly towards the kids. Although i am singleing out Libbe i must say i havnt had a bad experience of anyone in cvo, am i just lucky? i dont think i am i find that if you meet people with a smile they will smile back :)
Blondelle
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

agreeable

Post by Blondelle »

Couldnt agree more Loretta----and what you said about greeting others with a smile is very true!
In my years there ---I met very few folk that were nasty --in fact the number was less than the fingers on one hand!
Well said---- and as you know from experience most Portuguese have a lovelyfriendly way with kids.
Boa tarde, Ellie.
ROD
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ROD »

Must say Loretta that I've been coming to CVO for 10 years now and I too have always had a great time. Treat the locals with the respect they deserve and they will very willingly repond.

The only place I could single out for a special mention is a little restaurant half way to Monchique, whose name escapes me. We stopped for coffee and my wallet with credit cards/ money dropped from my pocket outside. I only realised many hours later, retraced my steps and discovered that a passer-by had found the wallet in the street and handed it in to the restaurant, and they stayed open late waiting for my return

Beautiful people

PS great jokes you posted
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sadly Rod, I quite believe what happened to you would only happen North of the N125, probably not South.

Does anyone else think that this divide is growing ?

Post by Guest »

No, I have to disagree with this, we left about 1500 euros on the checkout at one of the Ali Supers and went back about an hour later and the girl ran out of the shop to us before we got out of the car to give back the money. Mike, Chislehurst.