Cheap car wanted

Enter your free classifieds.
greenpooble
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Cheap car wanted

Post by greenpooble »

Hi There,

We're looking for a cheap car or small van, we only have a small budget but thought maybe someone might be leaving Portugal and want to get rid of a car quick, anyone know anyone??
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Cheap car wanted

Post by EMM »

Don;t get tempted by a cheap RHD UK reg car, there are plenty about as this could involve you in expensive fines for driving a possibly illegal car.
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by completecarvoeiro »

Your an adult now,make your own mind up,i have driven various UK French & Spanish cars here for the last 11 years have been stopped by the police on various occasions and never had a problem!
Ernie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Ernie »

Emm i have noticed that you give advice and opinions on absolutely everything do you actualy do anything else and do you live here !!!!!!
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

THe answer is yes we spend up to 4 weeks at a time 5-6 times year own properties and have Portuguese business connections,

Don,t be misled by those wh will tell you its OK to drive an illegal overstayed UK reg car. I know of many who have been given simple alternatives by the GNR, get your car out of Portugal or have it confiscated plus the fines.
Why do you think there are so many who want to sell their UK plated cars.

However if you want to take the risk its your choice.
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

I think the answer is NO you do Not live here.

There are so many UK and various other nationalty cars here because so many expats do actually live here unlike yourself.

The CNR did not give me a problem once.

I thank you.
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Even the GNR
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

CVO1 You obviously do not read the other expat forums where the behaviour you support and the risks to those who break the law in Portugal have been duscussed at length.
Examples have been given of those who have been fined etc.
There is even an idiot advertising illegal UK mot,s in Portugal for those trying to keep their UK reg cars here.

Are you suggesting then its OK to break the law if you are a UK expat ??
carvoeiro1
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carvoeiro1 »

EMM you obviously dont read who posts what .CVO1/ me aka CARVOEIRO1 hasnt even comm :oops: ented on this topic.
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by R.Wethereyet »

There appears to be some confusion regarding British or other nationality registered cars in Portugal, their legality, and length of time they are allowed to be here.

Firstly, It is illegal for any foreigner who has taken out Portuguese residency to drive a foreign registered car in Portugal. Unless they have started the matriculation process.

It is illegal under EU law for a car to be insured in any other country that the one it is registered in, apart for holiday and short term business use.

The maximum time a British/foreign car can be legal in Portugal is six months and it must have Fully comprehensive insurance, valid road tax and equivalent M.O.T for the full six months.

A Portuguese I.P.O. disc on a foreign car is meaningless. The testing companies are privately owned and will gladly take the fee but it’s a waste of money and illegal.

It is true that many British cars get through spot checks, as some local GNR basically can’t be bothered, but they are now becoming more vigilant, and the fines or worse seizure can be very costly.

It is also true that if a car is involved in an accident and the authorities decide that it’s illegal your car can be confiscated, your passport confiscated, you can be imprisoned and even more of a threat your property may also be confiscated to pay any compensation. Most Portuguese car drivers will not hesitate to contact the Policia or GNR for the slightest accident involving a foreign registered vehicle. even if it was their fault

An uninsured driver can also be liable for the costs of the emergency services attending an accident and medical accounts for any injured.

In Portuguese compensation claims, there is an fairly quick initial payment then the claimant has a number of years (up to 10, or where a minor is involved up to the age of 18 if more) before coming back for extra financial help so an uninsured driver can have legal problems for a long time.

Those on here who seem to be proud that they have bucked the law for many years have been lucky, but it still doesn't alter the fact that they are committing an offence.

I hope that neither my family nor I have occasion to have an insurance claim against any such driver.
greenpooble
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by greenpooble »

I don't suppose after all this hoo-ha about what is legal and what isn't that anyone might have a cheap car for sale??????.....that was the original post!!
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Well said Greenpooble there appear to be too many busy bodies on here at times who completley talk nonsense and avoid as you say your original question!
loulehandyman
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by loulehandyman »

R.Wethereyet wrote:There appears to be some confusion regarding British or other nationality registered cars in Portugal, their legality, and length of time they are allowed to be here.

Firstly, It is illegal for any foreigner who has taken out Portuguese residency to drive a foreign registered car in Portugal. Unless they have started the matriculation process.

It is illegal under EU law for a car to be insured in any other country that the one it is registered in, apart for holiday and short term business use.

The maximum time a British/foreign car can be legal in Portugal is six months and it must have Fully comprehensive insurance, valid road tax and equivalent M.O.T for the full six months.

A Portuguese I.P.O. disc on a foreign car is meaningless. The testing companies are privately owned and will gladly take the fee but it’s a waste of money and illegal.

It is true that many British cars get through spot checks, as some local GNR basically can’t be bothered, but they are now becoming more vigilant, and the fines or worse seizure can be very costly.

It is also true that if a car is involved in an accident and the authorities decide that it’s illegal your car can be confiscated, your passport confiscated, you can be imprisoned and even more of a threat your property may also be confiscated to pay any compensation. Most Portuguese car drivers will not hesitate to contact the Policia or GNR for the slightest accident involving a foreign registered vehicle. even if it was their fault

An uninsured driver can also be liable for the costs of the emergency services attending an accident and medical accounts for any injured.

In Portuguese compensation claims, there is an fairly quick initial payment then the claimant has a number of years (up to 10, or where a minor is involved up to the age of 18 if more) before coming back for extra financial help so an uninsured driver can have legal problems for a long time.

Those on here who seem to be proud that they have bucked the law for many years have been lucky, but it still doesn't alter the fact that they are committing an offence.

I hope that neither my family nor I have occasion to have an insurance claim against any such driver.
I am Canadian-Portuguese, i know the Portuguese laws very well, i have helped many foreigners with legal matters in Portugal. Everything mentioned by R.Wethereyet is absolutely correct. Don't be fooled by cheap foreign reg cars for sale, mostly are now illegal in Portugal. The police is impounding foreign reg cars on a daily basis. I have a very close friend in the Guarda Fiscal, he told me there are hundreds of cars impounded in the Algarve, they know about every car on the road, their just waiting! and on EBAY UK you can buy the same UK reg cars for less than half price compared to the uk reg for sale in Portugal, and legal.
completecarvoeiro
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Loulehandyman your talking a pile of rubbish,how can you possibly know if the cars are half price in England when you dont know the price of the UK registered cars here,oh i get it your a mindreader!
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

At least he knows better than to encourage some poor gullable soul into buying a potentially illegal UK reg car in Portugal.

Just look at the expat press to see how many are for sale.