Sardines - how to cook

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
The Skeftons
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Sardines - how to cook

Post by The Skeftons »

I came home 2 days ago and was desperate for sardines, I bought some at the supermarket yesterday and b-b-q'd them but they just weren't the same. I know they won't be as fresh but am unsure I am cooking them right. I smothered them in olive oil, sea salt and a little pepper then cooked each side for 4minutes.

Can you tell me if I need to be doing something else?!?!? :?
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by bifas 1st darling! »

Just sprinkle with rock salt about an hour before you cook them. Make sure the grill is HOT, grill for a couple of mins each side, don't over cook.

Serve with a tomato, onion, cucumber and green pepper salad seasoned with olive oil, vinegar and some oregano (rub it through your hands over the salad), small potatoes boiled with their skins cut up and mixed with chopped garlic, olive oil, a few drops of vinegar and rock salt.

The peppers are best roasted and skined. Whilst you're waiting for the grill to heat up put the peppers on and cook until the skin is black, but not burnt. Put them into a bowl and cover with a plate until cool, this makes the skin easier to take of. Skin the peppers under running water, (it's easier) then just rip them into strips and mix with salad.

Almost forgot the sangria to make a perfect meal :lol: :lol:
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

bifas 1st darling! wrote:Just sprinkle with rock salt about an hour before you cook them. Make sure the grill is HOT, grill for a couple of mins each side, don't over cook.

Serve with a tomato, onion, cucumber and green pepper salad seasoned with olive oil, vinegar and some oregano (rub it through your hands over the salad), small potatoes boiled with their skins cut up and mixed with chopped garlic, olive oil, a few drops of vinegar and rock salt.

The peppers are best roasted and skined. Whilst you're waiting for the grill to heat up put the peppers on and cook until the skin is black, but not burnt. Put them into a bowl and cover with a plate until cool, this makes the skin easier to take of. Skin the peppers under running water, (it's easier) then just rip them into strips and mix with salad.

Almost forgot the sangria to make a perfect meal :lol: :lol:
I feel so hungry after reading that B1D...in my eyes, a perfect meal :)

Reminds me of our carpenter lads,and thats exactly how they used to cook a lunch for us at workshops...the same with the peppers too.
Ive been to good restaurants, but nothing ever came up to that meal, that was created on a homemade BBQ (an old oil drum, cut in half, with grill across and stoked with wood,kindling from around the lemon groves)
only difference was, we had Algoz white wine...lovely memory!
cheers :wink:
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

And this is how to cook them :lol:
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

bifas 1st darling! wrote:And this is how to cook them :lol:
Oh B1D....what smashing memories of our carpenter lads, creating those meals for us and they wouldn't let me lift a finger..sometimes it was sardinhas, sometimes cavala(mackerel)..good honest tasty food cooked over wood in the open air, beats all the posh restaurants in my opinion :wink:
and it was always Algoz wine. I have a confession..Ive never had Sangria? Is it nice?
B2D
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by B2D »

you see B1d - if you can excite this fussy lot with just SARDINES then they will be absolutely GAGGING for your cookery book!!!

We want to write an english language Portuguese cookery book - B1d does the cooking and I do the spelling and writing. It's a dream team.

so here's the market research...
would any of you on this forum buy a book of REAL Portuguese recipes???
Sharen Crane
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Sharen Crane »

B2D wrote:you see B1d - if you can excite this fussy lot with just SARDINES then they will be absolutely GAGGING for your cookery book!!!

We want to write an english language Portuguese cookery book - B1d does the cooking and I do the spelling and writing. It's a dream team.

so here's the market research...
would any of you on this forum buy a book of REAL Portuguese recipes???
Count me in!!!! I'd buy one so that Michael can cook me something authentically Portuguese... :wink: :lol:
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: Yes definitely....
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

I love sardines & of course you should eat them Portuguese style (with your fingers) to make them taste even better. :D

We bbq all our fish the Portuguese way, very simple just a little rock salt (I'm not sure about an hour before, tends to draw out the moisture?)
then on to a very hot grill & maybe brushed with garlic & herb melted butter before serving. Yummy
Soos
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Soos »

My husband is Portuguese and I'm always trying to find recipies to remind him of home. Please, please go ahead with your book, I'm sure many more people are interested. The way you described that recipie was really good, easy to read and I could picture it in my mind. You've certainly got the knack. Good Luck
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

[quote](I'm not sure about an hour before, tends to draw out the moisture?)
[quote]

No, the longer the salt is on the better
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

B1D, will try it tonight on the robalo served with baby new tats & roasted mediterranean vegetables. :D
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Try puting sliced garlic, coriander or parsley and a small slice of lemon into the stomach cavity along with the salt.

OR

Cut the fish diagonaly on each side, push garlic slices and salt into the cuts squeezing lemon over before grilling that's nice to, not boththough too much masks the taste fo the fish.

Don't use too much lemon juice as it tends to make the fish taste bitter if over used.