RECIPE CORNER

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

SALAMI PIZZAS

2 muffins (Or uncut bread) sliced thick
2oz blue cheese & butter mixed (stilton or similiar).
4 slices salami
4 canned pinapple rings
4oz mature cheddar cheese, grated

Heat grill moderate.
Halve muffins or bread, toast both sides.
Spread each half with the butter.
Top with a slice of salami, a pinapple ring and some grated cheese.
Place muffins or bread back under grill and cook until cheese melts.
Serve Hot.

It's best with muffins. I have seen muffins in Apolonia Supermarket in Almancil but not sure re: Intermarche or anywhere else.
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Has anyone got the "original" recipe for KNICKERBLOCKER GLORY.

I have several but none seem to match what I use to have in The old Lyons Corner House, Marble Arch....

What I recall was inclusive of:-

Jelly
Fruit
Ice Cream
Some sort of crushed up biscuits !
Nuts
Fresh Cream
:P Sauce

But I thought there was something else! Blamonge!
Sharen Crane
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Sharen Crane »

A posh knickerbocker glory - courtesy of Paul Rankin

Ingredients
2 tsp chocolate spread
4 mini meringues

For the Eton mess
85ml/3fl oz double cream
55g/2oz raspberries
30g/1oz meringues, smashed
2 tsp chocolate spread

For the coulis
55g/2oz raspberries
1 tbsp red wine
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ lemon, juice only
1 segment of orange

For the lime cream
120ml/4fl oz double cream
½ lime, zest only
1 tbsp icing sugar
½ lime, juice only
55g/2oz raspberries, to serve

Method

1. Spread one tablespoon of chocolate spread on the flat side of a meringue and sandwich together with another. Repeat with the other two meringues.
2. Place the meringue sandwiches into a tall serving glass or dish and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, make the Eton mess by placing the cream into a large bowl and lightly whip to form soft peaks.
4. Add the raspberries and the smashed meringues and fold together lightly.
5. Stir in the chocolate spread to leave a rippled effect. Place the Eton mess in the glass.
6. To make the coulis, place the raspberries, wine, sugar, lemon juice and orange segment into a mini food processor and blend together until smooth. Drizzle half the coulis into the glass on top of the Eton mess.
7. Meanwhile, make the lime cream. Place the cream and icing sugar into a large bowl and whisk together to form soft peaks. Add the lime juice and zest and fold to combine.
8. Spoon the lime cream into the glass.
9. Sprinkle raspberries on top and then finish with the remaining coulis. Serve.[/b]
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

With nights drawing in and impending winter my thoughts turn to
SPICEY SPOTTED DICK
Can't say exact amounts but here goes
2 large mugs of plain flour
1 large mug of suet (vegetarian suet if you're a veggie :) )
I use only Sultanas (as thats what we prefer) but currants as well if you want..and use whatever amount you wish!
couple heaped teaspoons of mixed spice
mix with enough cold water to roll into a firm sausage shape
I cook mine the oldfashioned way and put into clean teacloth secured with string.
boil for hour or tills its firm.
This is very naughty but very nice served with butter & golden sugar!
or maybe custard or cream.
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE: Chocolate desert receipe.

1 1/2 Cups sifted flour
2 Cups sugar
4 Eggs
1 Cup butter softened
1/3 Cup Cocoa
1 Cup of coconut
1 Cup pecans (or walnuts)
1 lge Jar Marshmallow Cream (or see below)
1 9x13 Cake Pan

Heat oven 375Degrees

Cream, flour,sugar and eggs until smooth.
Mix butter and cocoa until completely blended.
Add to flour mixture.
Stir in coconut and nuts.
Blend throughly.
Mixture consistency as brownie mix.
Pour into greased pan, bake 30mins.

Icing Mix:-

1 stick of marg
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box of icing sugar
1 cup pecans (or walnuts)

When cake done remove from oven and immediately spread marshmallow cream using entir jar. Regular marshmallows may be used instead of cream by placing them in a pan over boiling water for melting. Use a tablespoon of marg in the marshmallows to thin the mixture and pour over the cake while both are hot. Pour icing mixture over marshmallow cream and and allow to cool..

Cut cake into large brownie size pieces to serve.
Elaine
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Elaine »

Saw the recipe for crab - can anyone tell me where to purchase dressed crab or a dressed lobster. Used to be a place up restaurant hill years ago where you could choose a lobster and they dressed it beautifully for collecting later in the day - wonderful with a dry white wine and crispy toast. Cannot find anywhere selling them now.
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Elaine wrote:Saw the recipe for crab - can anyone tell me where to purchase dressed crab or a dressed lobster. Used to be a place up restaurant hill years ago where you could choose a lobster and they dressed it beautifully for collecting later in the day - wonderful with a dry white wine and crispy toast. Cannot find anywhere selling them now.

Hi Elaine,

I have never seen one in the Algarve in a Supermarket!

When I next take the time to drive over to the Apollonia Supermarket in Almancil...I'll have a look...and post if I find one.

The only other thing I can think of is Marisqueira Rui 's Fish Restaurant in Silves.

Regards
Nightrider

Nightrider
Super Bock
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Chicken Piri Piri and Garlic Carrotts

Post by Super Bock »

Has anyone got the recipe for Chicken Piri piri and also the Carrotts that some restaurants serve as a starter?

Thanks
Cath
nightrider

Re: Chicken Piri Piri and Garlic Carrotts

Post by nightrider »

Super Bock wrote:Has anyone got the recipe for Chicken Piri piri and also the Carrotts that some restaurants serve as a starter?

Thanks
Cath
CHICKEN PIRI-PIRI

4 Chicken breasts, skinned and boned
(or smaller pieces with skinned & bone intact)
2 Garlic cloves(again I use more)
2 Red Chillies
2 Red Peppers
3 tbsp Olive oil
200ml/7fl oz Dry white wine(eg Vinho Verde)Green Wine or try a French Muscadet depending on your location and what you can easily purchase.
100g/4oz Black olives
Salt & pepper
Fresh parsley

1.Cut the chicken into thin strips. Finely chop the garlic. Cut the chillies and peppers in half, remove the seeds and all the white pith. Cut both into thin strips. (If prefered larger pieces of chicken with skin and bone intact can be used).

2.Heat half the oil in a large pan, add the chicken strips and stir-fry over high heat, stirring all the time, for a couple of minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.(Larger pieces that have first been B.Q. or roasted with skin and bone intact of course may require longer cooking).

3.Add the rest of the oil to the pan, add the garlic, chillies and peppers and fry for 3 mins or until softened. Add the wine and bring to the boil. Return the chicken to the pan, add the olives and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat moderately low, cover the pan and simmer for about 15mins.

4.While the chicken is cooking, remove the stems of the parsley and finely chop the leaves. Chop either on a board with a large knife, or in a mug using a pair of kitchen scissors. Sprinkle the chicken with the parsley and serve.

CARROTS: :!:

Carrotts...yes I know what you mean...but I do not have nor can I find a recipe for this...on taste.. I get the impression possibly something like
....olive oil, garlic and poss parsley!! If I come across a recipe...I will post it..maybe Digger or someone maybe aware of this recipe..

Hope the above is what your looking for.

ps Sometimes when I am feeling really lazy...I just roast the chicken in olive oil (I use it for all my cooking) with garlic and then sprinkle to taste from a bottle of Piri-Piri.
nightrider

Re: Chicken Piri Piri and Garlic Carrotts

Post by nightrider »

STEAK WITH LEEK & BLUE CHEESE SAUCE:-

A good steak deserves a good sauce and this is one of my favourites. I used Roquefort cheese in this version, but any crumbly blue cheese would do.

2 Entrecôte steaks
1 Leek sliced and roughly chopped
A knob of butter
Half a glass of dry white wine
75ml single cream
50g blue cheese
Salt and Pepper

1)Melt the butter in a small saucepan and gently fry the leeks until they are soft but not brown. Increase the heat and add the wine then continue to cook until most of the wine has evaporated. Reduce the heat and stir in the cream with crumbled cheese. Heat until bubbling (nice word :wink: ).
The sauce is now ready and can be reheated later.

2)Season the steaks and grill or fry to your preference. Pour any cooking juices into the sauce then spoon over the cooked steaks.

Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15mins.

Drom:-The Euro Weekley News. 10.11.05 Pg 17-FOOD

ps I recently in an Italian Restaurant in the Algarve had the above meal and found it to be extremely nice. So I was more than pleased to discover the above recipe for the sauce. The restaurant also serves quite a good Lambrusso...but I have yet to find this Italian Wine in any of the supermarkets in the Algarve. Although a while back Lidl for a short period did have some, but of medium if that quality, but then to be fair the price represented this.

NR
iane
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by iane »

Ref the garlic carrots (cenoura em preserva)

I am breaking my rule that I promised myself earlier this year to leave this forum BUT

They are real easy

Slice your carrots pretty thin and boil (in water - NO salt just in case anyones tempted) for about 5 mins less than "normal" for us Brits (left pretty firm).

Equal quantities of olive oil and white wine vinegar in a jar with a tight lid plus as much sliced garlic as you fancy and chopped parsley if you want (not essential) drain and cool (fully) the carrots, put them in the jar, give it a good shake (preferably with the lid on !) and thats it.

Best used on the day but will keep in the jar (fridged) for about 3 days before the oil/vinegar goes a bit funny !!

Serve them with some olives in brine off the market, fresh pao grande with proper butter and a tin of Lidl sardines in piri piri - fantastic lunch
Super Bock
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Super Bock »

Nightrider and iane thanks a million should make a lovely meal at our dinner party next Friday.
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Jane,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the Garlic Carrots Recipe...I took a guess, but as you can see above I left the wine out and also putting into a jar to marinate etc.
I hope that you will reconsider re the forum, even if you only post on occasion...i.e. useful information such as this is always extremely helpful, as I am sure that Super Boc who requested this recipe originally will agree as will others.

Again Thank you.

Kind Regards
Nightrider. :)
iane
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by iane »

Jane ???? - another accidental sex change ! :wink: (perhaps I need a new I D instead).
digger
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by digger »

coriander !!! .... fresh chopped leaves of

…… is what yer carrots need (along with olive oil, vinegar & garlic)