Places to Avoid

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
onlyonenic

Places to Avoid

Post by onlyonenic »

We are visiting Carvoeiro for 2 weeks from 21 May. Can anyone let me know if there are any restaurants or places generally that should be avoided. I'm sure there aren't because I have only read good reports so far but any advice will be welcome. Thank you :D
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

We went to the Indian at Monte Carvoeiro last night and that was pretty grim - probably the worst poppadoms,onion bhajis and biriani I have tasted in many years in many countries.

Everywhere else that we have tried in our 5 years in CVO varies from acceptable to good i.e. nowhere Michelin starred but equallynowhere truly revolting.

Portions are generally big so have a good holiday and go home heavier !!!
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Hi Roy
I've never been to the Indian at MC, but I've had heard it is awful too.
Isn't the Indian at Atlantic something or other up towards Rocha Brava supposed to be good?

Tricky
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

The Indian in Clube Atlantico has sold, the restaurant is supposedly going to be run by a top-notch swiss cook - it is currently undergoing heavy modifications, and they plan to re-open it in July.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

O Boteca set on the cliff overlooking the sea above Paraiso beach has the most wonderful setting, yet has received the most consistently poor food reviews in our villa guest reviews. I've eaten there once a few years back, and haven't returned for just that reason.
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

:( I like the Indian
Sandy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Sandy »

Yes its a shame about O'Boteco - gorgeous setting but the food can be pretty disappointing - I'll never understand why they insist in serving soggy limp canned asparagus when the shops are full of the lovely fresh variety.
We tried the Indian too and found it pretty tasteless (sorry Thunderbolt).
lagermeister
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by lagermeister »

Went to O Boteco for my birthday and it was crap. Also there is another one in Lagoa called Rosa which was pretty crap and the wine was a 99 cent wine from Lidls at 8 euros. I hate seeing Lidls wine at restaurants, mind you there are an awful lot of restaurant owners in Lidls first thing in the morning - have also seen Chinese people in there buying all the discarded cabbage leaves that people rip off which they don't want to pay for.
lawrance

indian restaurant

Post by lawrance »

I go to the indiano retaurant, at least twice every time we go to Carvoeiro, and have nothing but praise for both the service and the food, I will be back there again on the 13th may and will be going there for a meal or two. the one place I will not be going back to is the original stone steak house.
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

tricky wrote:Hi Roy
I've never been to the Indian at MC, but I've had heard it is awful too.
Tricky
Got takeaway from the Indian at Monte Carvoerio in July 2007. Worst Indian food I have ever had. Don't know if it is the same owners as this thread is a couple of years old, but for other readers IMHO, a place to avoid.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I have now been to the Indian restaurant at MC. Bland is a word that comes to mind, lots of supposedly different curries with the same taste.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by bifas 1st darling! »

Obviously the owners of MC Indian and Boteco don't bother reading this, it's still here :roll:
BONDI
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by BONDI »

The indian restaurant in armacao on the fishermans beach in the old town called Bollywood Indian is excellent, it may be little out of CVO but i can safely say that the quality of food, service, and price are very good. Try it someday, and let us know of your experience.
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

WE have been there many times and totally agree with you, BONDI
Helen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Helen »

I've been to the Bollywood restaurant and wasn't at all impressed. Everybody in our group said that it wasn't spicy enough and I didn't like their pilau rice which they'd put chunks of chopped up carrots, green beans and peas in!! Definitely wouldn't go back. The two indians in Carvoeiro are far superior.