RESTAURANT "A GALE"

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food

RESTAURANT "A GALE"

Post by Guest »

JUST GOT BACK FROM CARVOEIRO, RESTAURANT "A GALE" HAS RE-OPENED AFTER THE WINTER, I MUST SAY, ANTONIO, DOES THE BEST STEAK EVER!! AND ASK AUGUSTUS FOR THAT LITTLE TIPPLE AT THE END OF YOUR MEAL, IT 50% ALCOHOL PROOF!!!!

´´ steak house``

Post by Guest »

The best steak in town!

STEAK-HOUSE-CASA DO BIFE

Post by Guest »

:D Very,Very good! Please try the ´´Beef Wellington``and ´´Swiss Steak...uhmmm!!
Dennis

Dining out in Carvoeiro

Post by Dennis »

Just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in Carvoeiro, eating out every night, never a bad meal. Very nice fish at Gales, but why do diners want to smoke before, during and after their meal. In such a small restaurant this habit is most annoying to non smokers. You come out of the restaurant with eyes smarting and have to hang your clothes out to air to get rid of the smell.
By the way, best fish and chips in town; no, the best fish and chips ever tasted, were at HAPPYS. Give their cod and chips a try, the local chippie will never be the same again. :D

Re: Dining out in Carvoeiro

Post by Guest »

Dennis wrote: but why do diners want to smoke before, during and after their meal. In such a small restaurant this habit is most annoying to non smokers. You come out of the restaurant with eyes smarting and have to hang your clothes out to air to get rid of the smell.
It´s a habit/addiction most will find impossible to break. Unfortunatly this is hard to explain to someone who does not smoke.

Being a smoker myself I have continuous conflicts with my mother (of all people) about smoking in confined spaces, and apreciate the feeling non-smokers have under theses circumstances.

Nevertheless, smokers are still free roaming animals in Portugal and I for one am quite glad we are not being hunted and locked away like rabid dogs as in some other places of the world.

Like the man said "No, I don´t mind you eating while I smoke." :wink:
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Re: Dining out in Carvoeiro

Post by Michael Crane »

[/quote]Like the man said "No, I don´t mind you eating while I smoke." :wink:[/quote]

Obviously the man doesn't mind if he slowly kills me whilst he's enjoying a cigarette in the confines of this delightful but small restaurant.

I once heard a very funny story read by Martin Jarvis on Radio 4 a few years ago regarding smoking at the dinner table. When asked, "Do you mind if I smoke?"

The character replied, "No. Be my guest." Then he proceeded to clear his thoat in the most disgusting manner, coughing up great globs of phlegm which he deposited on the side of his dinner-plate. The smoker left in disgust. :lol:

Ah, if only I had the courage . . .
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

As a smoker myself, and understanding that it annoys many people, I am always reluctant to light up if nearby diners do not smoke. Since I enjoy a cigarette after the meal this reduces the fun of the evening for me.

It is about time the restaurants started to have a smoking and none smoking section, since this would make everyone more comfortable.

PS perhaps all smokers could unite and place their packet of fags on the table when they sit down - this way non smokers would know where not to sit, and it would avoid the many occasions when I have not lit up thinking no-one else smoked only to find twenty minutes later that I was surrounded by fellow addicts and could have had a crafty puff after all!

PPS I have promised that I will give up in July so I will probably disagree with all of the above after that !
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

I find smoking in a restaurant as obnoxiuos as someone 'going to the toilet' right next to me :x

Given the choice I'd have to opt for the 'toilet'. It might smell a bit but at least my clothes and hair won't smell of it for hours afterwards - nor would it kill me or its creator :!:
loretta
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by loretta »

As a reformed smoker (arent we the worst for moaning about smokers) i cant see both sides of the arguement. Whilst in a restaurant i think it is only good manners not to light up when people are enjoying a meal. I never would smoke in a restaurant i would wait untill i got outside before lighting up, afterall its not going to kill you to wait a hour or so before you light up!!!
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

No, it wouldn't 'kill' anyone not to light up after their meal, but it might ruin their enjoyment of the evening, and therefore they may be inclined to think twice before spending the hard earned cash eating out. (or at the very least leave before the coffee and brandy stage which tends to be the most profitable part of the meal as far as the restarant is concerned.)

As far as the comment about smoking/going to the toilet is concerned, restaurants do have a separate 'toilet section', I just think they should also have a separate smoking section and then in theory everyone will be happy.

I know as a smoker I am one of the most hated people on the planet, but we all have our vices (how about a 'no high pitched, very load laughing section' or a 'no people who eat with their mouth open section'), but it is still something undertaken by a vast number of people and to alienate all these from restaurants and bars would be commercial suicide for these establishments.

To quote someone else, 'having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool' - how's that for shooting yourself in the foot :D

Try not too hate me too much, I will be giving up soon and joining your side, honest

Graham
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

Obviously I can rest assured Mr Crane that you never exceed 70 mph on the motoroway, 30 in town and 40 on an urban clearway, it is great to know that there is someone out there who doesn't daily put other peoples' lives at risk - phew.

Now I only have to worry about the 40 million UK drivers . . . :!:

Maddi
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Maddi: Funny, I don't remember meeting you :lol:

What you are referring to is the law. If one breaks the law then one is punished. Do you exceed these limits? How would you feel if by doing so you injured or killed someone? Would you blame them for being in the way?

PS. I also cross the road before the Green Man appears. If I'm run over by a car I'll blame the driver - probably be you :shock:

Graham: I like the swimming pool reference :D

If smoking after your meal (as opposed to between courses) is for your enjoyment, do you stop to think that this very act spoils entirely the enjoyment of a non-smoker during their meal?

I am certain that if I were to sit near you and was to give off such an awful odour that it not only put you off your meal but clung to your hair and clothes until you returned home that you'd insist that I be barred from the restaurant.

I cannot understand why smokers are so intense in their persistence of lighting up in any public place where such an act is distasteful to many of those around them. Is it arrogance or ignorance?

I am certain that any restaurant that banned smoking entirely would increase its customer base. I have a lot of friends that will not eat anywhere where smoking is allowed. When word gets around that so-and-so's place is non-smoking, it is filled with non-smokers . . . and there are a lot of us about :wink:

Of course, to balance things I fully endorse a smoking-only restaurant, too. Kill youselves at your liesure; just don't take me with you.:wink:
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

There is something about this site that means that when anyone expresses an opinion, one person either pro or anti the original posting will make an emotive, attacking retort rather that an intelligent, thoughtful, reasoned argument and I do believe I am getting sucked into this.

You are quite right Michael, as you knew you would be, about my lack of adherence to the speed limits and that is despite my son spending
three months in Stoke Mandeville and six months in a wheelchair following being knocked down by a car when he was five years old. And that is my point - I also use aeresols, buy goods undoubtedly made in sweatshops, fly in planes packed with carbon-loaded fuels, etc, - there are very few of us entirely innocent in respect of not putting others at risk. Thats why we should express our opinions in a thoughtful way rather than pontificating or being sanctimonious - that is only the right of the Mother Theresas of this world and I am not sure they are that many out there - and if there are it is highly unlikely that they are regularly logging on to Carvoeiro.com

:lol:

Maddi
Michael Crane
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Michael Crane »

Maddi, sorry to hear about your son.

But, back to the smoking issue.

I am not being sanctimonious. I have merely stated how abhorrent I find smoking. Apart from the awful stench of ones clothes and hair after being exposed to it for a short time - it kills people.

I held my father's hand whilst he drew his last breath, dying of cancer caused by smoking. He never lived to see his great-grandchild. It was a pituful sight to see a once fit and strong man, wasting away until he looked like a small bedraggled bird as he sipped water from my finger tips. This is not a pleasant way to die.

If my pontificating and sanctimony help one smoker to see sense and persaude them to quit, then it'll be worthwhile. It always amazes me that the Government spend £millions on rehabilitating drug addicts and ignore the true addicts - the cigarette smokers.

It is an addiction, there's no doubt about it, and it's killing people at an alarming rate. What's done about it? Nothing, unless of course you count the tax each packet bears - which is nowhere near enough to pay for the medical expenses incurred by these self-destroying smokers who expect the tax payer to nurse them through their well publicised and predicted illnesses.

I make no apologies for getting on my soapbox. I just wish it were higher and I were taller. :D
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

Smoking is an awful thing it kills people - it costs the NHS 1.7 billion per year and results in the loss of 50 million working days.

On a generally lesser scale, the effects of alcohol costs the UK 2.7 billion per year (I guess that also includes policing) and the NHS 164 million, it results in the loss of 15 million work days.

You are right Michael, Cancer is an appalling way to die.

However in my experience pontificating, etc does not stop "even just one" person from smoking, it tends to aggrevate the smoker and send them reaching for the 'fag packet'.

I am not sure about your comment re the tax v. costs, as my understanding is that if alcohol and tobacco were new drugs they would be illegal but the government is reliant on the taxes raised on both to fund the NHS and eradicating them completely and the resultant health issues wouldn't actually balance the books - but I have to admit I am not entirely certain I have got that bit right.

Maddi