Oh dear!

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Oh dear!

Post by pinkiebluesky »

I tried a pasta dish from Via Italia today, for the first and last time! I have never, ever eaten a lasagne with peas and large slices of ham! It was dreadful and I ended up going to have lunch somewhere else. Hopefully it was an off day and things will get better as the summer goes on. I sugest the owner has a good look at the quality of his food and staff!

Post by Guest »

Poor you :(
Helen

Post by Helen »

Unfortunately you must have hit them on an off day as Via Italia is one of the few restaurants I now visit in Carvoeiro. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal there and always recommend it to anyone who asks where the best place to eat is. Try the pasta with spinach and ricotta next time - it's to die for!!!
Gambrinus

Just another rainy monday......

Post by Gambrinus »

I was wondering:

Considering that food poisoning does pose a serious health threat - is the expression "to die for" really apropriate? Maybe an expression like "to kill for" would be safer. :D

Over the years Via Italia amongst others seems to be oscilating between top-notch and complete rubbish - problem is, that almost every negative comment was opposed by a positive one and vice-versa.
Question: Do we have any experienced food critics around Carvoeiro that would be willing to test restaurants in the Carvoeiro area? I doubt there is any money to be earned (Steen?) but it would be a serious step towards improving the overall quality of restauration in Carvoeiro.

I am sure residents and tourists alike would apreciate an unbiased quality-price evaluation before going into a restaurant, rather than having to vent considerable anger about bad quality afterwards.
e-richard

Re: Just another rainy monday......

Post by e-richard »

Gambrinus wrote:I was wondering:

I am sure residents and tourists alike would apreciate an unbiased quality-price evaluation before going into a restaurant, rather than having to vent considerable anger about bad quality afterwards.
Great idea but we find that one mans meat is another man's poison to add yet another metaphor. We opened an amateur's restaurant guide in our Villa in 1999, and since then guests who have stayed there have added numerous comments on many reastaurants. Its fascinating to note how some rave about the same restaurants that others berate.

What I will do is type in as many of the comments as possible and then I'm sure someone will find somewhere to post this totally random but amusing set of reviews. In fact, I'm in Carvoeiro now and as I look outside, its bucketing with rain, so instead of reading this forum, why don't I make a start...
Gambrinus

Re: Just another rainy monday......

Post by Gambrinus »

e-richard wrote: Great idea but we find that one mans meat is another man's poison to add yet another metaphor. We opened an amateur's restaurant guide in our Villa in 1999, and since then guests who have stayed there have added numerous comments on many reastaurants. Its fascinating to note how some rave about the same restaurants that others berate.
Without wanting to offend anybody who has written in your guest book, some people judge a restuarant by the size of fishfingers on the childrens menu (OK, before I get exasperated replies - this is a deliberate slight exageration to make a point :wink: )

That was actually the reason why I asked if there were any experienced food critics around Carvoeiro - as in somebody who has written food articles before and has some idea of how food preparation should look like.
I assume that there are several criteria which all restaurants can be evaluated by, objectively!
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pinkiebluesky »

Helen wrote:Unfortunately you must have hit them on an off day as Via Italia is one of the few restaurants I now visit in Carvoeiro. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal there and always recommend it to anyone who asks where the best place to eat is. Try the pasta with spinach and ricotta next time - it's to die for!!!
I'm sorry there won't be a next time!! There are so many restaurants to choose from I don't think I'll bother trying that one again!
Jo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Jo »

Experienced Food Critics - surely that must be me!!??

I love food , very experienced at eating it and am very critical when I don't like it!!! :lol:

Gambrinus - the job is mine!!!

Steen - I'm sure you said somewhere I'd get paid????!!!!

Jo :)
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

OK Jo, you´re our girl then 8)

So get out there and get testing - you have my full moral support (we will have to work something out for the financial support :? ).

Obviously a positive evaluation of our restaurant sponsors is imperative :wink:

Leave out the franchises and exotic ones (don´t want you catching some wierd eastern disease that will make your head fall off - OK, that was nasty, scratch that.)
Fishfingers, hamburgers, english breakfasts and any other dish that even a one-armed, blind mexican cook could prepare without breaking a sweat do not count for evaluation purposes.

Now all we need is a second tester to assist you. Anybody else feeling lucky? :P