Best traditional restaurant

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
odoherty_s

Best traditional restaurant

Post by odoherty_s »

Can anyone recommend the best restaurant in the Carveiro area to sample traditional Portuguese food?
Also the best areas of interest to visit?
Peter Belinfante

Post by Peter Belinfante »

Try Casa Algarvia in CVO at the Estrada do Farol , or Tia Rosa just before you get to the roundabout at Lagoa (it's the last road at the right side before the roundabout)
kteee

Post by kteee »

...or O Cantibnho (opposite Casa Algarvia) or chefe antonio (almost next door).....

k
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pinkiebluesky »

kteee, although O Cantinho and Casa Algarvia are both good, they don't serve trad Port food. I suggest you try O Ciclo ( I think Biffa has mentioned it several times) in Lagoa next to the Caixa Agricola bank or another good one (also Lagoa) Ponto Verde. Go to the Fatacil roundabout , cross into Lagoa take the first right (opp the firestation), go along until you come to a cross roads, straight across ( as if you were going to Silves on the old road) and it's on the right, quite a small white door can easily be missed. Go at lunch time and try one of several pratos do dia which are very good. I recomend the Cozido á Portuguesa, go hungry!!

Post by Guest »

Nice one Pinkie, but what about Carvoeiro? Mike
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Try Escondidinho (sp?), which may be found through Quinta Paraiso out the other end and look for a dusty car park on the left filled with workmen's pickup trucks. Don't expect menus in English or a wide selection. Take what you're given and really enjoy. We paid Euro 7 per head including drinks last summer.
pinkiebluesky
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pinkiebluesky »

I'm sorry guest but i don't think Carvoeiro has any "Tipico" resturants, portugues food isn't to holiday makers and foreign residents liking, and you have to agree that there is no point in having something that won't sell :) The nearest thing is grilled fish which is eaten in every household several times a week.Lagoa isn't THAT far away that you couldn't go for lunch :lol:
smits

Post by smits »

try th o'patio which is the oldest and best restuarant in carvoeiro. just down by the beach.
odoherty_s

Restaurant recommendations

Post by odoherty_s »

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Post by Guest »

Try restaurant Masques at monte carvoeiro. it's just outside the ring of restaurants, and has a really nice bar for before or afterwards as well.

Post by Guest »

In the near from Guia (Algarve Shopping Centre) is a very good chicken restaurant. We was there today.

Greetings from Di_Berlin (this time in Lagoa)
Littlelegs
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Littlelegs »

If you want typical portugese fish then try O'Barrill in Portimao, you go under the old bridge PASS all the little outside fish restaurants [the ones for the tourists] and cross over the road up a small cobbled street and O'Barrill in on the right. It is run by a old portugese couple the wife does the cooking and the husband is the waiter a very nice couple and we have had really good typical portugese food there as the local people tend to use it rather than tourists. You will often see local business people have a long lunch which we have induleged in woth our portugese lawyer, It is a very small restaurant but lovely for a lunch time meal followed by a ice cream at the ice cream parlour in the square.
It is really worth a look.
:roll:
Littlelegs
guest2

portuguese food

Post by guest2 »

what about dinner? Is the O'Barrill also good for the evening and if so, perhaps you have a number for reservation if neccessary? :) Thanks and regards from Germany
Littlelegs
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Littlelegs »

Hello Guest2

No I am sorry I do not have the telephone number but could probably get it for you. We have been in the evening as we were with our solicitor and celebrating buying some land from the owners of the restraunt so had no need to book.
But I would imagine that you would have to as the restraunt is very small only seats about 20 people. BUT we also went at lunch time and no need to book then.
Hope you have a good meal but please be aware it is a no frills place and menu in Portugese.
we will be there sometime between 11 - 25 Sept for a meal can't wait.
BBFN :lol:
Littlelegs
guest2

Post by guest2 »

hallo, littlelegs,
thanks for reply.well, as we are not good in portuguese,shall we try ?it sounds good and we are always looking for good restaurants which are not made for the tourists, also we are such, but still prefer food, which is more like the country, which guests we are. most of the restaurants are doing cooking what the tourists like.anyway, hope to find some more places - do you have more suggestions? Have a nice evening,regards,guest2