Cheese

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Cheese

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

One for you food gurus out there, having just returned from a excellent long weekend on the Continent, loaded down with all kinds of goodies and delicacies I have got around to wondering what is the difference between Brie and Camenbert Cheese? Nobody I know seems to have the definitive answer, is it one is cow’s milk the other goats (don’t think so), regional difference, size, shape etc, any sensible answer would be appreciated
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Thanks for that. So, it all boils down to size and region. I must admit I’m a blue cheese man myself, the stronger the better, but am not unresponsive to a decent Brie or Camenbert, its just that I don’t think I could pass a blindfold test with them. I can sleep well tonight safe in the knowledge that basically there is no difference, or only slightly and then only to the discerning palate. Vive la fromage de la belle France.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Love French cheeses Sam :)
Im particularly fond of Brie and buy it quite often, though it never quite matches up to the whole one I brought back from France on our last trip.

I like the Swiss Gruyere too and use it in pancakes (I got the recipe in France of ham & Gruyere crepes)

But I often have a piece of strong Cheddar with an apple for my lunch.

Its strange, I never liked cheese at all when I was young and Mum could only get me to eat dairylea cheese spread but now I love it :P
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Canada »

Sam- if you like French blue cheese this one is fabulous!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Agur_Blue
Thunderbolt
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Thunderbolt »

Cheese is one of the best food that exists (being Swiss and all that). I absolutely love cheese. Most cheeses that is.
There is nothing nicer than a raclette on a cold night or a nice piece of camembert on a piece of baguette.
I think I could actually just live on cheese.
If you ever come across a swiss cheese called Tomme do try it. It's a fairly mild creamy cheese but it's soooo nice.
And we have another one which you would have to buy in Switzerland because I don't think they can export it due to it not being pasteurised or something or if they do it's a pasteurised version and therefore not the real one. It's called Vacherin and it comes in one of those round wooden boxes. It's extremely smelly, very gooey and completely delicious!
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Canada wrote:Sam- if you like French blue cheese this one is fabulous!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Agur_Blue
Thanks Jan, St Agur and Roquefort are readily accessible here in the UK, it’s the ones they don’t export so much I tend to purchase when I nip over there. The French have a habit of keeping their best Wine and Cheeses to themselves (can’t blame them I suppose) gives me an excuse to pop over on a regular basis to top up, I brought back a lump of Bleu d'Auvergne, very tasty but a bit salty as are most French blues, but the mutt’s nuts all the same. :lol:
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: Buy a small Camembert in a wooden box (you can get them in the supermarkets) make sure it is not one stuck together with glue but with a small staple, then take the packaging out put the cheese back in and the lid back on, put it in a mod-hot oven for 20 mins then take out and open up the cheese, dip crusty French bread into it or Melba toast, heaven.........
kteee

Post by kteee »

and to make it even more yummy, push some garlic cloves in before putting it in the oven!
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Don't forget to drip some white wine into the holes with the garlic
kteee

Post by kteee »

yes, forgot the white wine!
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Funny that Ellie, I didn’t like cheese much either when I was a youngster, can’t remember there being too much of it about in our house to be honest, but am making up for lost time now. :lol:

Will keep an eye out for your Swiss cheeses TB, Raclette I’ve had before but the others are new to me.

I’ve brought back some cheese in the little boxes (avec le agrafes) a nice drop of Pont L’eveque Fromage so maybe give it a go in the oven, I have also got some smoked garlic to go with it along with some decent white wine. Thanks for the tips girls. :lol:
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: Sam if you like cheese then have a look at this site, run by a friend of mine who gets the nicest local cheese. They really are great and she will post to you.

http://thecheesegig.com/
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

Lesley Jean wrote::lol: Sam if you like cheese then have a look at this site, run by a friend of mine who gets the nicest local cheese. They really are great and she will post to you.

http://thecheesegig.com/
Thanks LJ, will check it out
charliegill11
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by charliegill11 »

There is also - thecheesesociety.co.uk which has a huge selection of cheeses plus numerous different recipes