restaurant prices

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
stevieg
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

restaurant prices

Post by stevieg »

Hi All

We will be making our first visit to CVO in August, staying at the Carvoeiro Sol.
As it is B&B basis we will be eating out every day. Most of the restaurants on here sound fabulous, but with two strapping sons it may prove expensive! :shock: Any idea of rough costs for meal for 4 with drinks so we can budget accordingly?

Steve
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

:lol: A rough guide would be to say what you pay in the UK in pounds will be what you will pay in cvo in euros. Works most times.

If you go to some of the little Portuguese restaurants out of the town you can have a 3 course meal for about 9.5 euros a head with wine/drinks on top. If you say, one of the restaurants on the hill then about 12 - 18 euros a head for starter and main, wine about 12 - 15 euros for house wine.

Have a great trip and enjoy.
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

I agree with Lesley Steve...to get cheaper meals you need to come away,go inland a bit.
In Lagoa, the Lotus is not too pricey(alongside the petrol station), or in the little park there is Classique 21 restaurant. For lunch I often go to the cafe in the park, where you can buy a good chicken sandwich & drink for couple Euros. Or theres the Chinese along from there(pedestrian bit) which is very reasonable.
But in saying that, Ive had some reasonably priced meals at 'A Fonte' in Carvoeiro..coming from the beach its the road on the left(the in road) and just after the Irish Times & sSafari bar, theres steps leading up to A Fonte.
I think the Irish Times is reasonable too..though I haven't eaten there yet.

Theres also a good takeaway on the in road, a little way in on the left(maybe someone here knows name),chicken piri piri etc.

On the 'out' road, you can get good lunch at Le Doce (scrummy burgers & milk shakes :P ) I think about 5 or 6 Euros.
I know what its like to feed big lads.....Ive got 2 of them (well ones married now)
I guess the further away from the beach the cheaper :)
good luck and have a super hol
Canada
CVO Master
CVO Master

Restaurant prices

Post by Canada »

Ellie, the chicken take away on the In road is called Galo d'Ouro Tel: 282 357 398. Just happen to have their card in my purse. Haven't had their chicken but hear it is VERY good! :)
tbbr
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by tbbr »

If you have a car head out to ALgarve shopping, apart from shops, bowling alley and cinema it has the usual fast foods plus v good portuguese equivalents. NOT tourist prices.
Peter Belinfante

Re: restaurant prices

Post by Peter Belinfante »

stevieg wrote:Any idea of rough costs for meal for 4 with drinks so we can budget accordingly? Steve
For lunch you could try the restaurant at the Fatacil, or Restaurante Tia Rosa (both in Lagoa). As far as I can remember it costs € 7,50 p/p (including soup, main course, dessert or coffee and the soft-drinks and wine).

Last time (in June) when we were together in CVO one night a dinner at Oasis (perfect quality, nice owners, fine service), € 29,30 for two (couvert, main course, some beers, 1/2lt house wine)
Take a look here: click here

And I (sometimes the two of us :wink: ) allways go to Maxime (next to the Carvoeiro Bar) You pay a bit more but it is worth it! Good quality, good atmosphere and perfect for a nice evening with a perfect staff.

Peter
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

food 4 the boys

Post by SJ & RE »

:D Yep ,LJ has got it right as we do the same thing £=Euro 4 cost of food.
The little takeaway in CVOis realy good value. Have to get to it early cos it all goes. He used to be a chef in the uk somewhere. Good basic food. I was feeling poorly one evening & did not want to go out to eat ( what me!!) & I popped in & asked for some soup. Veggie soup provided in a huge poly lidded container, enough 4 2 people was 80c. Scrummy.
4 an idea , please try the market in CVO, u can get lovely bread,cakes, fruit, & cheeses & cold meats n salads, very cheap, excellent quality & make it all up as a picnic. Great 4 on the beach or wherever. U can get disposable bbq sets in there as well so u can have meat skewers all made up there to cook as well as the gorgeous fish, prepd 4 u 2 take away & cook on the bbq.Definitly a way round keeping prices down & much more fun. Have a great hols :D
stevieg
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by stevieg »

Thanks all

Everyone is so pleasant and helpful on this forum :D

we certainly will have a good holiday and try some of the restaurants you recommend.

Steve
Jack
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Jack »

I've just got back from my week away and found Happy's very reasonable (again!). Nice free bottle of port at the end of our meal as well. 100 euros for 6 people 2 courses including wine. Gets my vote time after time.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Lesley Jean wrote::lol: A rough guide would be to say what you pay in the UK in pounds will be what you will pay in cvo in euros. Works most times.

If you go to some of the little Portuguese restaurants out of the town you can have a 3 course meal for about 9.5 euros a head with wine/drinks on top. If you say, one of the restaurants on the hill then about 12 - 18 euros a head for starter and main, wine about 12 - 15 euros for house wine.

When was the last time you dined in the UK? I pay on average £15 per head for a cheap meal, you can pay £15-£20's for a fillet steak around her, no problem, and not a very big one either 8oz., actually. Plus £4 for a starter plus £4 for a sweet, coffee £1.50= approx. £24.50, roughly (32e) wine can be at least £10-£17 per bottle. And that's for a pub meal.
Karen Ann
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Karen Ann »

pato wrote:
Lesley Jean wrote::lol: A rough guide would be to say what you pay in the UK in pounds will be what you will pay in cvo in euros. Works most times.

When was the last time you dined in the UK? I pay on average £15 per head for a cheap meal, you can pay £15-£20's for a fillet steak around her, no problem, and not a very big one either 8oz., actually. Plus £4 for a starter plus £4 for a sweet, coffee £1.50= approx. £24.50, roughly (32e) wine can be at least £10-£17 per bottle. And that's for a pub meal.
Yes Pato, I agree with you about prices, however, I also agree with LJ, we always work on a £=€ when looking at restaurant meals. So if a meal usually costs £15 back home you can expect to spend 15€ fo the equivilent in Portugal unless you go out of the resorts and eat where the locals eat.
Lesley Jean
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Lesley Jean »

Pato I eat out on a regular basis in Somerset, we must be cheaper than in your area. I admit there are not many places I do eat that charge £15 for a meal but they are there, especially the local pubs who do honest home cooked pub grub.
The point I was making was that if you use the £ for Euro equivalent you won't be far out.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I think pub food in the UK has become very expensive,
there was a time when the maximum price was about £10.00 but now it seems that you can't get a meal under £7.95 and that tends to be steak and kidney pie.
I think a lot of places have jumped on the 'gastro pub' bandwagon without supplying the quality.
One of our local pubs, nothing special, has steaks on for around £19.99.

Will they price themselves out of the market?
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Today,I noticed a local pub in Hundleby here in the Wolds, was offering, pie,chips and peas and a pint for £5.
Must confess I used to like pub grub..when I worked in the City of London I often had my lunch in a nearby pub and it was always good :P

D'you think theres an opening in CVO for a real English type pub with good grub? Suppose the closest to it at present is Dirty Nellys, the Irish Times or Hemingways?
Mind you,when Im in Algarve I have to say that I prefer Portuguese food.
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

Ellie wrote: Must confess I used to like pub grub..when I worked in the City of London I often had my lunch in a nearby pub and it was always good :
Reminds me, when I worked in London for a while, 50 years ago, our half-crown (12½p) luncheon vouchers bought a 3 course meal with a cup of tea to follow - and very good it was, too!