Where can I find Portuguese Casseroles?

Please also see the food section http://www.carvoeiro.com/food
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Where can I find Portuguese Casseroles?

Post by Bruce Wallis »

I am fed up with the typical Restaurant Hill fayre, and would love to find a restaurant serving casserole dishes such as Ensopado de Borrego, Cabrito Assado no Forno, Chanfana or similar. I realise I will have to go inland....but where?

There has to be life beyond Piri Piri and Stone Steaks!
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

If you eat in almost any restaurant away from the coast you will find what you are looking for. There are many in Lagoa serving traditional stews etc. If you go to Silves you will find more.
bifas 1st darling!
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by bifas 1st darling! »

there's a very good restaurant in Querença, quite a long drive but worth the view. They do wild boar, venison, ensopado do borrego and all sorts of other interesting things.
VON VON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by VON VON »

also try the roadside restuarants on the road up to monchique [left hand side just past the pot shops] they are good and always a favourite with the portugese as well.
:lol:
Helen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Helen »

Lotus restaurant in Lagoa, opposite the petrol station on the bus station side of the EN125 does fantastic Portuguese food that you don't get in the same old same old restaurants in Carvoeiro.
VON VON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by VON VON »

hi Helen

I'll have to try Lotus restaurant when next over in June, although the name Lotus does sound a bit thai/chinese. Do they have a signature dish
:lol:
Helen
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Helen »

No they don't have a signature dish. Some of the dishes they do are codfish cakes with beans and rice, carapaus (horse mackarel) with tomatoes and onions, choco (cuttlefish) feijoada, rice with razor clams, rice with cockles etc. They obviously also do meat dishes but I can't reel any off as I always seem to go for the fish/seafood dishes. They also usually have specials for the day too. Hope this helps.
VON VON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by VON VON »

thanks Helen
Yes that has helped I can't wait to try the fish and seafood, rice and razor clams is mouthwatering. I also always go for fishy things when in Portugal as it is so expensive here in the UK. Roll on June and the flight over.
:lol: :P
rodstocker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Food - Chanfana

Post by rodstocker »

Chanfana is from the North of Portugal (Coimbra). However, there is a restaurant here that serves it. A Palmeira. On the old EN125 road at Estombar heading towards Portimão on the right hand side. They also occasionally have Ensopados and Cabrito on the menu.